Traveling with 6 chickens

The Gennarias

Hatching
Oct 15, 2023
My wife and I are moving in January 2024 from Arizona to northern Georgia. We have 6 chickens we are wanting to take with us. We are trying to figure out the best way to transport them. We can use dog crates with 2 in each one. Or we were wondering about putting the coop in our Penske truck, right at the gate, and transporting them that way. We would be stopping every few hours and opening the back to let them get fresh air, etc. We will obviously have food and water for them. We are just trying to get any advice or knowledge on this.
Thanks so much!

Please do not put them in the moving truck, dog crates will work.

We will be moving to FL in a few years when we retire. I regrettably will be rehoming any chickens I have at that time, I would not want to put them through the stress of an 8 hour drive. It will be hard enough on our dogs.

I don't think the penske people would be thrilled about live chickens in the truck, so I'd say the dog crates would be better.
Well...they would be in the coop, which is 4x6x4, so they would not be running loose in the truck. My concern is carbon monoxide poisoning.

I have hauled chickens and ducks in dog crates (two in each crate) on a sixteen hour trip (one way). They did fine and even laid a couple eggs!
I have also moved with chickens on an eighteen hour trip and they did ride in the cargo of the Penske truck - while they weren’t as happy as the ones in the dog crates in the back of the van, they did fine.
Have a safe trip!

I have hauled chickens and ducks in dog crates (two in each crate) on a sixteen hour trip (one way). They did fine and even laid a couple eggs!
I have also moved with chickens on an eighteen hour trip and they did ride in the cargo of the Penske truck - while they weren’t as happy as the ones in the dog crates in the back of the van, they did fine.
Have a safe trip!
Thank you! I was hoping that some one had actually done it and could give us feedback.

Back
Top Bottom