Traveling with chickens

You have two issues. Three really.

First, that's really hard on the birds, all travel is.

Second, your overnight conditions may not be welcoming to your birds - and if they are, you have no idea what kinds of things (diseases, pests like mites...) you will be exposing your birds to.

Third, crossing State lines with chickens, legally, means a vet inspection or a VS9-3 form frm an NPIP participating flock. I'm assuming you aren't NPIP, and the vet inspection may be prohibitively expensive. (In some states, it also means stopping at every inspection station along the road)
Oh snap- I forgot about Texas’s livestock inspection stations but I don’t recall seeing that in any other state- can you tell me how to find the information u are talking about?

You have to check state statutes for every State you travel thru. "Importing Chickens" or "Importing Poultry" are good keywords for your search.

Texas, for instance, takes you here, the links on that page will tell you what you need to know.

and Ag inspection stations litter I-10. I used to live in TX, now live in FL Panhandle, have family in central FL. I've "done the drive" a few times.

I agree with Stormcrow. Chickens aren't meant for travel like a pet dog.

That said, one of my favorite coop builds on this site was done by a guy who knew he was going to have to trailer his chickens to an inland property anytime there was hurricane flooding, and designed his set up accordingly. I love it when people come up with a workable solution to odd problems.

New Coop, Small, Street-legal

Later in the thread he reports that the chickens did fine during their road trip (granted, it was in-state), but the birds got to stay in their familiar coop and run for the trip.
Thanks for the link- that is an awesome coop

You have to check state statutes for every State you travel thru. "Importing Chickens" or "Importing Poultry" are good keywords for your search.

Texas, for instance, takes you here, the links on that page will tell you what you need to know.

and Ag inspection stations litter I-10. I used to live in TX, now live in FL Panhandle, have family in central FL. I've "done the drive" a few times.
Thanks, I’ll look into it

@Fox Ridge Farms what breed(s) are your chicks? Large breed? Or bantams? As @Liza728 had Seramas, this would seem more feasible—-Liza did you encounter any agricultural inspections between OR and OH? What states did you drive thru?
Fox Ridge, I wish you luck...chickens are a lot more adaptable that we tend to give them credit for. I’m betting you can pull this off and it will make quite a story. Keep us updated! With photos!

Thanks for the link- that is an awesome coop
Wind rider, thank you so much for that link!! I just realized, if the trucks not in the garage, there is plenty of room for the coop and run. It will take some work to get them on wheels but it is doable and the garage is comfortable year around. I’ll put lights on a timer and there will probably b a few other things to work around but I think it’s the answer. Thanks again

Wind rider, thank you so much for that link!! I just realized, if the trucks not in the garage, there is plenty of room for the coop and run. It will take some work to get them on wheels but it is doable and the garage is comfortable year around. I’ll put lights on a timer and there will probably b a few other things to work around but I think it’s the answer. Thanks again
If you do go the travel-trailer coop route, prices are way up (sadly), but I picked up a folding 4x8 aluminum trailer (assemble it yourself, one day project) from Northern Tool. The folding part is BS. First thing I did was disable it and bolt down some heavy PT plywood.

In retrospect, a 5x8 or 6x12 aluminum would have been MUCH wiser - but I tow it behind a Buick Sedan, not a vehicle famed for its tow capacity - for picking up materials at the building supply. Weight was a real concern. And, of course, it doesn't rust. and I'd buy, not build, a tongue box for convenient storage and to stiffen up the front some. Great place to keep a bag of feed, some odds and ends, etc

I don't use my trailer as a mobile coop - but if I did, that's where I would start (that, and a truck!), based on what I've learned using my flatbed trailer.

If you do go the travel-trailer coop route, prices are way up (sadly), but I picked up a folding 4x8 aluminum trailer (assemble it yourself, one day project) from Northern Tool. The folding part is BS. First thing I did was disable it and bolt down some heavy PT plywood.

In retrospect, a 5x8 or 6x12 aluminum would have been MUCH wiser - but I tow it behind a Buick Sedan, not a vehicle famed for its tow capacity - for picking up materials at the building supply. Weight was a real concern. And, of course, it doesn't rust. and I'd buy, not build, a tongue box for convenient storage and to stiffen up the front some. Great place to keep a bag of feed, some odds and ends, etc

I don't use my trailer as a mobile coop - but if I did, that's where I would start (that, and a truck!), based on what I've learned using my flatbed trailer.
Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear. I’m not going to make a road worthy trailer- I’m just going to put some small wheels under it and pull it into the garage when I want to travel. I think I would be happier if they were with me but I know they will b much happier in the garage. The link just got me thinking of coop mobility.

Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear. I’m not going to make a road worthy trailer- I’m just going to put some small wheels under it and pull it into the garage when I want to travel. I think I would be happier if they were with me but I know they will b much happier in the garage. The link just got me thinking of coop mobility.
You were probably clear, coffee isn't working for me, again. I'm having a mental fog day.

Apologies. I'm not at my best.

Back
Top Bottom