Traveling

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iwannachicken, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Hi y'all,

We haven't got our chicks yet. (Waiting until mid March to see if the hubby still has a job)

One thing I have a question about is, what do you do with your chickens if you have to go out of town? I guess we could teach our 19 yr old daughter to be the "chicken tender", but what if she's not here to put them up at dark, or whatever?

If I leave food and plenty of water, will they be okay for a couple of days?

Thanks,
    Karen

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I personally would not leave my birds out all night, too many coons and owls and others. If I had to leave town for a day or two I would make sure there was enough food and water and I would leave them locked up till I back.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    First off Welcome. I have my coop set up to let sit for 5 days without any support. I have 8 hens which feed out of a home made feeder that holds 10 lbs of food and I set out 3-3 gallon waterers. The eggs build up but last. My coop is predator proof (i hope) and the girls go to bed by their selves. I haven't left it for any longer than 3 days but I can if I need to. A 19 year old is more than old enough to do the care for a few days. My 6 year old grandson loves to care for the flock. He thinks they are neat because they come to see him when he enteres the coop.

4. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. We are planning on using a tractor with the coop up at the top. That's not predator proof, but maybe the dog will keep the coons and possums away.

Somebody will be here to take care of the dog. We put her up, too, or she barks all night. (Probably at coons and possums)[​IMG]

I know my daughter can learn how to take care of the chickens and I think she's looking forward to it in an understated 19 year old kind of way, but she works and sometimes doesn't get home until after dark.

As you can tell, I'm going to be new at this and don't know all the tips and tricks. Heck, I don't know any tips or tricks, but I guess that's what this forum is for. I'm so glad to be here!

Thanks so much,
    Karen

5. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Last summer went away for about 3 days and they did fine with plenty of feed and water. This summer we'll be gone 10 days so I'll recruit a co-worker or friend to stop by to collect eggs (which they can keep of course). Maybe once in that time period I'll have my chicken minder re-fresh their water and feed.

If you tease folks in advance with fresh eggs you'll have no problem finding someone to check in on them when you need them.

Phyllis

6. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Its fine to leave them for a few days with enough water and food, but I would keep them in the coupe definitely not outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by