travelling with chickens

mackak

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Has anyone ever moved a long distance by car/truck with chickens? We are moving across the country in 4 months and I could sure use any hints, tips and advice on the safest way to take my 19 chickens with me. What container is the best? How to make the trip as stressfree as possible ? How to keep roosters quiet when you really need to? Should I make food and water available all the time? They are part of the family and I want everyone to arrive happy and safe!

I have never traveled across the country, but I know my birds were happiest when they had the most room possible for them. I put the 8 different hens into 2 separate cages with each set of 4 hens who got along best. So, maybe splitting up your flock into groups would keep the birds on the bottom of the pecking order from getting beat up. And, if possible, I would say water needs to be available to them. If not, just make sure they get it asap. (planning rest stops would be a good idea to feed/water.) Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions. We will be travelling with possibly 4 roosters. I was planning to put each roo with his girls in their own box. I am wondering if the best bedding would be shavings or straw. Would a dog kennel be best or has someone used something else that worked equally well or better? Should I keep them in the dark to help them be calm? I look forward to hearing from any words of wisdom
smile.png

I am going to be moving soon as well. I plan on using dog crates to move my flock in. then load the crates in the horse trailer and hope for the best. I have those water bottles that attach to the crate doors and then add a scratch mix when I have to stop..

Its not cross country but its about 1000 miles when we go to key west. Ive used everything from a plastic dog carrier to a metal crate to a cardboard box. As long as they are comfortable, not too hot or cold, no draft, have regular food and water stops, they should be fine.

Quote:
Definantly go with shavings! They help keep the poo smell down, I don't use anything else past 3 weeks of age! The shavings dry out the poo fast which kills the smell and keeps it from sticking to them. Shavings can be a little messier (fly-away factor) but if they're in the back of a truck or some such then mess isn't really an issue. If they're in the back of your SUV/van just make sure they can't kick things around too much (high sided crates, blanket over top of the crates, something like that).

Back
Top Bottom