treadle chicken feeder

I thought i would give my two cents. I built mine from left over wood using the ideas i found on this site for a few bucks, not as polished as the others but it holds about 25lbs of feed and works great. I had to build one because local birds were eating all of my organic feed and were hurting my pocket book. I trained them over the course of about 2 weeks. Word to the wise: be sure that if you build it from wood you are careful of where you place it. If it is exposed to water, it may swell and not open or stay open (depending on the materials you use). I basically used the "treadle design theory" and customized my own to suit my needs. Email me if you need any help.

I ordered one from Ireland and my month olds can use it as it is sensitive enough to open if two birds step on it. Plus it is weather proof.
I also built one from wood but gave it away since I got no dry place to put it.

Quote:
lau.gif

And how will they lift it?

Seriously though, I need to make one of these yesterday. I'm so tired of feeding the starlings. This will solve my problem. Hopefully my chickens are smart enough to use it. It will also eliminate my mouse problem in the summer.... however my weenie dog will be sad. His favorite thing to do is kill mice in the coop... oh well.

I'm heading to Home Depot today for materials!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Interesting... I watched your video - ours closes much more slowly. Perhaps it could be the placement of the bolts or something else? Hmmmmm something to think about and experiment with...

A question from a newbie in TX, USA -- What is boss?

Gordon

8 Ameraucana pullets -- 4 Rhode Island Red pullets -- 4 Pekins -- 1 Rouen -- 1 Black Cayuga

Quote:
Welcome! Good question, there are SO many abbreviations to get used to! We feed these sunflower seeds (BOSS) in our bird feeder so already had them on hand. My birds REALLY love them and go crazy for them as treats. I generally have a few in my pocket and they eat them out of my hand.

welcome-byc.gif

TY both for the reply. I learned another acronym.

Gordon

8 Ameraucana pullets -- 4 Rhode Island Red pullets -- 4 Pekins -- 1 Rouen -- 1 Black Cayuga

Back
Top Bottom