treadle feeder

FBMcrazy8

Free Ranging
Jun 4, 2022
I know there are already some threads for this, and to be honest….kinda dreading even putting this up but hoping for the best. I have read some of the other threads, but none of which were any help. Just a bunch of crap about Chinese stuff. But nothing useful. Or a few links that took me to places with languages I couldn’t read.

So I am looking at getting a treadle feeder. I do not have a mouse problem, as my little girls are still in a brooder in my house. But we are in the country so it is more than likely going to happen…but any prevention I can do, I want to. We have been pretty successful at keeping mice out of the house so far, then again we haven’t been living here in the winter due to remodeling. Anyway, anything that is helpful will be gratefully appreciated!

Since I put this up so late, I’m hoping someone will see this now…. 🤞 and someone who can help.

I have a Ratproof Feeder. Works great and I feel it's design is better than the guillotine style. We are also in the country. We have lots of chipmunk that I wanted to keep out of the feeder. I do remove the feeder at night, as we also have bears. If you have any specific questions, @Al Gerhart is helpful...he is "Rat proof Chicken Feeder".

I have a Ratproof Feeder. Works great and I feel it's design is better than the guillotine style. We are also in the country. We have lots of chipmunk that I wanted to keep out of the feeder. I do remove the feeder at night, as we also have bears. If you have any specific questions, @Al Gerhart is helpful...he is "Rat proof Chicken Feeder".
Luckily we don’t have to worry about bears….except the occasional traveler. Chipmunks are a problem for us as well. We have at least 2 that we have named chip and dail. My Husky keeps trying to get them but obviously losing.

We have a Jack Russel that helps around our house. ;)

My girls were pullets (and are larger breeds), when I got my feeder. Al's directions say to not prop the door open, but to teach the chickens that they have to open the door. I have three 4 week old chickies, that will be joining the flock soon. The older girls will "teach" the younger ones, over time. When you start teaching yours, you need to make sure they are heavy enough to open the door.

We have a Jack Russel that helps around our house. ;)

My girls were pullets (and are larger breeds), when I got my feeder. Al's directions say to not prop the door open, but to teach the chickens that they have to open the door. I have three 4 week old chickies, that will be joining the flock soon. The older girls will "teach" the younger ones, over time. When you start teaching yours, you need to make sure they are heavy enough to open the door.
They will be 6 weeks old on Wednesday. And they won’t be out there until after that at least. We ordered a cover for the run that won’t be there until then. We have only a little left to do to the coop before it’s ready for them.

We have a Rottweiler and a Husky. Our biggest problem right at this exact moment is a coon. Unfortunately we haven’t gotten a .22 yet but my brother has one. Whenever he gets a day off he’s gonna come out and get rid of it. It’s escaping our live trap. We have shot it with a pellet gun several times, it’s just time for it to go. So until it’s gone, the girls and 2 boys so far, aren’t going out there.

I know there are already some threads for this, and to be honest….kinda dreading even putting this up but hoping for the best. I have read some of the other threads, but none of which were any help. Just a bunch of crap about Chinese stuff. But nothing useful. Or a few links that took me to places with languages I couldn’t read.

So I am looking at getting a treadle feeder. I do not have a mouse problem, as my little girls are still in a brooder in my house. But we are in the country so it is more than likely going to happen…but any prevention I can do, I want to. We have been pretty successful at keeping mice out of the house so far, then again we haven’t been living here in the winter due to remodeling. Anyway, anything that is helpful will be gratefully appreciated!
So glad to see a customer looking for other than Chinese made.

As far as I am aware, there are two treadle feeders available that are NOT made in China that are available in the U.S. without going through international shipping; our feeder which RojoMarz has been kind enough to recommend, and the Feed o Matic, which last time I checked was made in Europe. And we do still have some Philippines made feeders in stock so if you want U.S. made be sure and read the product page before ordering.

But the Feed o Matic has a lot of problems starting with the plastic parts being chewed through and most of the original sellers either dropped it or Amazon forced it off the market due to high customer returns. It seems to not be there other than a similar model with the same color plastic parts without a door, no need to chew into the feeder if you can just hop in and eat the feed I guess so that feeder might survive on Amazon.

There are some decent English made treadle feeders but the cost is twice as much or even three times with the international shipping.

Do your research before spending your hard earned money. Each feeder has its pros and cons so read all of the website before buying and as many honest reviews as you can find (no Amazon links! Those are commission links that skew the advice of the blogger or website).

Back
Top Bottom