1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TREATED OR NON-TREATED WOOD for run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by briter30, Sep 24, 2011.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    I read in a recent post that you should not use treated wood for the coop/run because of it being toxic to the chickens? I am going to the store on Monday to buy some lumber for my run and am not sure which one to get. I do not plan on painting or staining the run, so shouldn't I use treated wood?

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    I'd use treated, just so it lasts longer in the weather, esp if you dont want to paint/ stain it. Its not toxic to chickens. Well, mine isnt. Get a few more opinions on that just in case, I always suspected my chooks were little supermen. [​IMG]

3. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

For longevity treated is the best option. We used it when we fenced in a small portion of our chicken yard that was too small for our 10' chain link panels. I've never seen my girls pecking on the wood in their run.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I go for all natural, but we live in a dry climate. It depends on how attached you are to them? Chickens like to peck.....

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Definitely treated for the run framing if ya want it to last. Have not experienced any adverse affects from treated lumber on our chickens. They really don't come into contact with the framing of the run and have never seen any of ours picking at it. However I would be hesitant to use any inside and honestly you really don't need it. I mean, it's inside...not exposed to the elements. Good luck
    Erik

6. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Thank you...treated lumber it is!

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Good decision... treated is also fine for the inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by