Treating 48 chickens for scaly leg mites?

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi all,
I have 48 birds. 18 are hens, about 1.5yrs old. the other 30 are about 13wks old. They all live in the same coop. They all have symptoms of scaly leg mites. The hens have raised scales on their ankles and some have black lines striped on their toes where the scales start. The 13wk olds just have black stripes on their legs.

I found this as a review on an article. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-scaly-leg-mites-slm-what-you-need-to-know.77376/)
"I wanted to share a simpler way to treat scaly leg mites. I found on YouTube (the chicken whisperer) couple of years ago and have refined a bit. Use an old pot, ~20cm (8") diameter. Put petroleum jelly (Vaseline or other brand) in pot to depth of at least 6cm (2.5"). At night, heat until liquid, then let cool until just opaque - test with finger, should be warm and coat finger - not too hot, don't want to hurt chickens feet, but not too cold, need to coat leg. Will form a seal, like plastic case over finger. Put warm pot on stable clean surface in coop, easier on your back if not on ground. Pick up roosting chook from Perch, lower into V to cover whole feet and legs, not feathers, then hold chicken out in air for at least one minute (ensures V set, not fall off when touches perch), carefully put back on perch, will be bit slippery, make sure chicken has footing before let go. Repeat for rest of flock, even if no sign of mites, can spread between chooks. Can reuse V infinite times (heat each time, top up when gets too shallow). Effective, painless, quick. Makes seal over whole leg and foot, so mites can't breathe and die. Can repeat application if think didn't get good enough seal. Takes about a week to start see results. Very effective. Does need lots of V to start with, but can reuse. Works regardless of outside weather (will still make coating on chooks feet in hot weather, bit quicker if really cold). Stressfree for you and chickens. I use just enough light to see chickens and pot (angle mobile phone light down, away from chooks eyes). Hope is helpful to others."

This seems like a quicker way than doing each slowly with your fingers. The problem is: cost. A gallon jug costs $55 off of Amazon. I don't know how much I will need. A gallon per time I treat it? If I treated them once a week for three weeks, that would mean $165.
I do not want to use rubbing alcohol because 1/4 of the birds have bumble foot.

Any suggestions? On different products/ methods? How much does vaseline does it take?

So, I tried spreading vaseline on with my fingers, for a few weeks, and it didn't seem to do much. NuStock worked much better. Also you can mix Sulfur powder into vasseline I think, or petrolium jelly for home-made NuStock ointment? If you look around on here you may come across the recipe again. That stuff worked great, and I think I applied it twice to 20 chickens. Also you can slather it on the roosts. Applied by hand, using disposable gloves, and having paper towels on hand for mess. Wrap chicken in towel, slather feet. One tube of NuStock did 20 chickens with about a 1/3 of the tube left over. Don't let the NuStock sit outside in the heat or it will melt and not work as an ointment anymore.

Consider using Elector PSP to spray the coop and kill mites in the coop/bedding/roosts. Kills on contact. You can even spray your chickens (don't let them get chilled after) I think.

Good luck!

Buy a few tubes of Nu-Stock at a feed store. One application is all that is needed. Nu-Stock contains sulfur, pine oil and mineral oil; no need for any other additives.
DONT slather Nu-Stock on roosts, only a very light coating is needed to prevent the mites from crawling from one bird to another, anymore than that is a waste.
Wear disposable gloves when applying Nu-Stock to the birds legs and feet.
I've used Nu-Stock on birds and it works. Shake the tube very well before opening it each time you use it. If you have some left over, store it in a zip lock bag afterwards. You'll find out why after using it.
thnustock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom