Treating Coop for pests

angela27

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
Laidley
What is the safest and most effective way to treat a coop for pests, in particular stick fast fleas?
I have dirt floors and wanna treat this, but scared of using something that might make the chickens sick if they injest it.
During the day between 6am and 6pm they free range, so could potentially treat and shut coop for the day if need be, but they would need access to it again at night and they’re generally up scratching around before I let them out in the morning

What is the safest and most effective way to treat a coop for pests, in particular stick fast fleas?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I see your location, is that in the US? If so my information should be good.

A permethrin based treatment has been very effective killing most pests both on the bird or in the environment. The one I used...
TE006407

It is found in the equine section at most feed stores and TSC. Also comes under many brand names and concentrations from ready to use like this one or some you need to mix in another garden sprayer or spritzer. This 32 oz bottle was bought for under $8 to keep mosquitoes off my goats when I discovered it's many other uses. Used for poultry lice and mite, fleas and other things it last my 2+ years for 2 large goats, 3 medium dogs, and 82+ birds including my coop, lay boxes, roost, etc... used only when needed AND according to directions. It is labeled for use in chickens and NO egg withdrawal required. Be sure and follow up treatment according to directions to get anything that hatches and prevent them from building resistance to it.

Use it to treat the birds also if needed, soaking is NOT required. A soaked cotton ball is good for getting close to the eyes. For treating lice or mites... part feathers down to skin and give a small spritz just below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the nape of the neck at the back of the head. I treat my birds at night keeping it dark and using a head lamp to keep them calm to prevent any chasing or missing treating anyone.

Not considered effective against scaly leg mites or depluming mites. And also not for use on cats. Though I have used safely around the house avoiding the cats.

Honestly, I just treat the coop and lay boxes when most are out, like right after I let them out or late afternoon after most have laid and left the building. I haven't had to worry about locking anyone out. But do what makes sense to you, please! Once it's dry, should be no worries. I use it inside my house for ants. Have also gotten a fair amount on myself... and NO noted issues, I just wash off once I'm done treating. And FWIW, it is the active ingredient in some over the counter human head lice treatments... Permethrin is said to be a synthetic form of pyrethrin extract from chrysanthemum flowers.

One final statement.. I also have dirt floors in my coop (though no stick tight fleas so far). I have used this on sitting broody's and fresh hatched chicks (using the cotton ball) without issue. But we also have well water and are extremely careful of product that might contaminate our ground water. Permethrin breaks down in the environment fairly fast and is not of concern for us. Careful around ponds and streams though as it could definitely impact aquatic life. Surprisingly I never killed off my meal worm colony by accident, but I was aware that it could happen if I wasn't careful.

Hope this helps! :fl

The OP is from Australia. Good advice. Permethrin is my choice. You do need to spray the coop thoroughly and weekly for awhile. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. I use permethrin dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom