treating for possible mites

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmer_lew, Mar 2, 2011.

1. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    What is the youngest age you can treat chicks for possible mites? We have some 1 week olds, 2 1/2 week olds and 3 1/2 week olds in the brooder. A couple of the 3 1/2 week olds are exhibiting behavior like they are picking mites off each other. Are they too young for dusting with Sevin? I could put it in their pan of soil they dust bathe in, so I don't have to dust them directly. They can get it while dustbathing. But, are they too young? I don't want it to harm them.

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    You could mix some sevin in with dry sand for them to dust bathe in. But before you do that I'd check them over real carefully for mites. Remember growing all those new feathers in really, REALLY itches so all chicks act mite infested at that age. Mine are not quite 2 wks, totaly big free and itching like crazy already.

3. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Oh, yeah. Duh! That makes total sense. I hadn't even thought about the new feathers itching!

4. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Quote:x2

But putting a little bit of sand in a deep dish is always appreciated by the little ones. They have a blast dusting themselves !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by