Treating hookworm and whipworm

026TB4U

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
South Florida
Hi All,

We rescued a sex-link hen and the vet told us she has hookworm and whipworm. We have never wormed any of our flock which we raised from chicks but have had this bird quarantined.

The vet said I should get some Fenbendazole and you just add it to the water, but then I read it's not FDA approved and she is an egg layer.

The questions are:

Should I use Fenbendazole or something else?

How do I administer it?

Where can I get it because most feed stores don't seem to carry anything for chickens.

Is there an egg withdrawal period?

Thanks.

Thanks.

The vet told you to use Fenbendazole, that's what you should use.
Go to the feed store and buy Safeguard liquid goat wormer, 125ml container. Also buy a 3ml syringe without the needle. Shake the container well. The liquid is given orally via syringe, 0.25ml per pound, or 1.25ml given orally for a 5 pound hen. It must given to your hen 5 days straight.

It's best to administer it 1/2ml at a time so that the hen doesnt aspirate. Have someone hold the hen for you, preload your syringe with 1/2ml. Pull the hens wattles down and her mouth will open and quickly shoot the wormer in her mouth and release her wattles right away so she can swallow the liquid.

Putting a wormer in water isnt very effective. You dont know if the hen will drink it, or drink enough of it to be effective. Sick wormy birds drink very little, if at all.
Besides, the liquid goat wormer doesnt mix well in water at all.

Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.
We've eaten the eggs after using the goat wormer. I'm still here typing. However if you suspect you or someone else might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss them in the garbage.

Go to the feed store and buy Safeguard liquid goat wormer, 125ml container. Also buy a 3ml syringe without the needle. Shake the container well. The liquid is given orally via syringe, 0.25ml per pound, or 1.25ml given orally for a 5 pound hen. It must given to your hen 5 days straight.

It's best to administer it 1/2ml at a time so that the hen doesnt aspirate. Have someone hold the hen for you, preload your syringe with 1/2ml. Pull the hens wattles down and her mouth will open and quickly shoot the wormer in her mouth and release her wattles right away so she can swallow the liquid.

Putting a wormer in water isnt very effective. You dont know if the hen will drink it, or drink enough of it to be effective. Sick wormy birds drink very little, if at all.

We've eaten the eggs after using the goat wormer. I'm still here typing. However if you suspect you or someone else might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss them in the garbage.
This is exactly the information I needed, that I didn't get from the vet.

Thank you.

First dose administered last night. Tried the pulling down on the waddle thing but she wasn't having it. It was a struggle and a slow process but we got it in her. I'm thankful it's only for 4 more days...lol.

First dose administered last night. Tried the pulling down on the waddle thing but she wasn't having it. It was a struggle and a slow process but we got it in her. I'm thankful it's only for 4 more days...lol.
I hear you. I wormed my birds early this morning and my 2 EE's are always a pain in the neck to worm orally. I pull down on the skin just behind their lower beak and their mouth opens. However they shake their head practically nonstop, but when they stop just for a second, that's when I squirt the liquid in the mouth. Lucky me lol.

I wormed my flock with safeguard in the water last fall but I'm wondering how affective it was. I think they are still compromised with worms. Do you repeat this treatment in 10 days or 5 days in a row covers the qorm cycles?

I have a vet appointment next week to get some fecals ran.

Thanks for the info, it is helpful!

I wormed my flock with safeguard in the water last fall but I'm wondering how affective it was. I think they are still compromised with worms. Do you repeat this treatment in 10 days or 5 days in a row covers the qorm cycles?

I have a vet appointment next week to get some fecals ran.

Thanks for the info, it is helpful!
Please read post #2 above on how to dose a bird with Safeguard.

Back
Top Bottom