Treating meat birds for coccidiosis

If your birds are not drinking more than a gallon of water a day there is no need to waste the Corid and make 4 gallons worth.

You need to make a fresh batch daily.

Do NOT give any added vitamins while using Corid.
Ugh, I did add vitamins. I'll replace the water. Can you tell me why not to use them?

It was when I took the birds out of the brooder and put them on grass that I seen the blood in one of their stool.

How to I disinfect their brooder (preferably without bleach)? I have a batch of layer babies coming next week.

Also, does coccidia travel airborne? Do I need to worry about my other chickens if they aren't near the meat birds?

It was when I took the birds out of the brooder and put them on grass that I seen the blood in one of their stool.

How to I disinfect their brooder (preferably without bleach)? I have a batch of layer babies coming next week.

Also, does coccidia travel airborne? Do I need to worry about my other chickens if they aren't near the meat birds?
Everyone pretty much has coccidia in their yard. Isn't really a way to get rid of it.
Birds get used to it and become immune to it over time.
The problem is when you bring new to you birds home they're not used to the stuff that you have in your yard so they can easily get coccidiosis.
It is usually unlikely for the new baby birds to pass a different strain to the older birds but it does happen.

Just clean it out (remove old bedding and droppings) and keep it dry.

Coccidia need moisture to grow, so a dry brooder should be fine, with no actual disinfecting needed.

Last edited:
The bug that causes Coccidiosis lives in the ground. It thrives in wet conditions, especially if the ground had poop in it. It can also thrive in water with poop in it so they need clean water.

The life cycle of that bug is that it lives in the digestive tract, lays what you can think of as eggs that go out with the poop. After a few days of development the chicken pecks at the ground and eats some of those eggs. If it is dry not enough develop to cause a problem. If it is wet the number of those bugs in their digestive tract can overwhelm the chicken.

I consider having a few of those bugs in their system a good thing. If they are exposed to a few of those bugs for two to three weeks they develop immunity to that specific strain of the bugs that cause Cocci without getting sick. The way I manage Cocci is to feed them some dirt from the run every three days or so to keep some of those bugs in their system but keep the brooder really dry and the water clean so the number of bugs doesn't get out of hand. By the time mine hit the ground they already have immunity to the strain of Cocci that is in the soil. A common occurrence is that the chicks are not exposed to that bug when in the brooder so they do not develop immunity. When they are exposed to it when they go outside they get sick.

It's in your ground. If one of yours has it (and they have) then they all are carriers. Everywhere they have pooped and areas around that are infected. It lasts a long time in the ground. They are going to be exposed to it at some point, I prefer to develop their immune system so they can handle it instead of trying to keep them away from it.

I agree with NatJ. Just clean it out and keep it dry. You don't need to disinfect the brooder for Coccidiosis. Keep an eye on them and be ready to treat if you need to. You never know for sure what will happen.

One reason meat birds are more susceptible to Cocci is that they poop so much it's hard to keep the brooder dry. Feeding them medicated feed when they are exposed might help.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom