Treating scaly leg mites with alchool???

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi all! :frow:frow:frow
First thing: i want to wish you all and to all your flock a good summer 🌸
Then, i'm trying desperately to fight scaly leg mites. They arrived in my flock when i bought my silkie. I needed all summer 2020 to put them off the silkie's feet with sunflower oil, and it worked. But it has been soooo long to treat, and now i'm sooo busier than the last year. Now i have to treat 3 chickens that had odd scaly leg mites, and i think that using sunflower oil again would be too long. Moreover, Mì and Nuì hate to be held and i'd like to not stress them too much, i'm dealing with a persistent broody and doing important works in the coop.
On the other side, i'd like to not use petroleum products because i want to keep the flock more natural as possible and i don't want to give them something that can hurt.

I read that rubbing alchool (90 degrees) is good to treat this problem and that is a fast way. Is there someone that can confirm this?

Hi all! :frow:frow:frow
First thing: i want to wish you all and to all your flock a good summer 🌸
Then, i'm trying desperately to fight scaly leg mites. They arrived in my flock when i bought my silkie. I needed all summer 2020 to put them off the silkie's feet with sunflower oil, and it worked. But it has been soooo long to treat, and now i'm sooo busier than the last year. Now i have to treat 3 chickens that had odd scaly leg mites, and i think that using sunflower oil again would be too long. Moreover, Mì and Nuì hate to be held and i'd like to not stress them too much, i'm dealing with a persistent broody and doing important works in the coop.
On the other side, i'd like to not use petroleum products because i want to keep the flock more natural as possible and i don't want to give them something that can hurt.

I read that rubbing alchool (90 degrees) is good to treat this problem and that is a fast way. Is there someone that can confirm this?
You can try gasoline dip and AD ointment treatment. I don't know if you can get AD ointment in Italy.

when i had silkies, i used oil and just use a small bucket and dunked the legs in it. and then i went to nustock since its sulfur/oil and it lasts so much longer then having to dip all the time. i think my mom back in the day used mineral oil as its slightly thicker and dont forget to oil the roosting bars and dust the coop. I had to sell my silkies a few years ago and i miss them but normal chickens are so much easier.

You can try gasoline dip and AD ointment treatment. I don't know if you can get AD ointment in Italy.
Thank you..but i would like to not use gasoline or other petroleum products :( have you other ideas faster than vegetal/mineral oil?
when i had silkies, i used oil and just use a small bucket and dunked the legs in it. and then i went to nustock since its sulfur/oil and it lasts so much longer then having to dip all the time. i think my mom back in the day used mineral oil as its slightly thicker and dont forget to oil the roosting bars and dust the coop. I had to sell my silkies a few years ago and i miss them but normal chickens are so much easier.
Thank you! this seems a good idea..! I hoped that alchool was faster than oil, this is why I asked..
The Silkie (Batì) is now leg mites free, she hasn't them anymore. Now i have to treat two Blackstars and an Isa Brown 😇

and its much easier to dunk with two people, since those birds always manage to knock the bucket over if your not careful.

Back
Top Bottom