Treating the runt

yyz0yyz0

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2012
So I have 7 Wyandottes, 4 GL and 3 SL. They are all approx 7 months old at this point.

One of the silver laced is the runt of the flock and obviously at the bottom of the pecking order. None of the other birds let her anywhere near the treats I put in the run, She is so harassed by the others, I feel so sorry for her. I've tried letting the other birds out to free range while blocking her to keep her in the run then give her treats all by herself. But even then all she wants is to get out with the flock, I even tried meal worms today but I don't think she even knows they can be eaten as she never gets any. If everyone is out free ranging and I throw some scratch I try to put a small amount where she is but someone else is always coming over to her pile even if they have a big pile away from hers. I've tried to keep others away from her scratch but that action just scares her away as well, they've got her afraid of her own shadow.

Is there anything I can do to make sure she is able to get some of the treats?

I try and keep treats for my runty pecked on chicken too. What you say happens to her a lot. Just keep trying. If she doesn't eat it, well, she doesn't get to eat it.

SL as in sex links? I have a few and they are bullies to other breeds, but to answer your question.. Sometimes I'll lift her up and hand feed her so she at leases gets something.

depending on how bad the bullying is, I would rehome the bottom hen. obviously there will always going I be someone at the bottom of the order. however situations are worst then others. I had to rehome one of my favorites couple of months ago because of same type of situation

Last edited:
All flocks seem to have this problem...the lower ranking bird gets picked on, especially around food. My lowest ranking girl is the same way, and over time, I have worked with her so that she knows to separate herself from the others to get treats. At first she got scared, as your birds is, but eventually she learns that if she follows you to some isolated spot, she can get goodies you have saved for her. Good luck!

This happens in lots of animal groups. The omega animal doesn't seem to mind near as much as the humans do. I figure if the Omega isn't bold enough to get stuff, they just do without.

Back
Top Bottom