Treating vulture head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Opa, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Yesterday morning to my horror I discovered that my bantam flock decided to attack this gold seabright. She had been with them for 2 days and it appeared that she was excepted, unfortunately that wasn't the case.

When I found her she was lying in one corner of the run, extremely lethargic, blood weeping heavily from her head. I immediately removed her, covered the injuried area with a thick layer of antibiotic ointment and got a few drops of Poultry Drench in her beak. More was added to water I placed in her cage. A couple of hours later I got a few more drops of the electrolyte in her.

Late yesterday afternoon she was not longer listless and cheeping quite loudly. I placed chick crumble in the cage and she immediately started eating. I just checked her this morning and except for looking like a vulture she appears fine.

I'm convinced that getting the electrolytes in her is what saved her. I would recommend that everyone keep some available for just these types of emergencies.

[​IMG]

2. andrea98

andrea98 Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    aww poor girl .. if i was closer i would take her ..she looks soo sad good luck / her

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Actually, Opa...she doesn't look near as bad as I was expecting. Is she the one you got at chickenstock? Such a lovely lady...poor girl. It's tough being the new kid on the block. Sure wish I had a nice buddy I could donate to you for her. [​IMG]

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have seen chickens recover from a lot worse. It is amazing how tough they are. Glad yours is doing alright now.

5. deenamr

deenamr Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I am so sad for her. I hope she improves quickly. Good job with the electrolytes.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Poor darling looks like she has a serious headache. I'm sure she will do just great because you are taking such good care of her.

7. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Oh no! I just saw this Opa. Poor thing looks so sad in that picture. I hope she has a speedy recovery, and it doesn't look nearly as bad as I imagined.

Bluemoon

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    She is actually doing pretty good. Before I cleaned her up and applied the ointment she looked really bad. Plus she was just barely moving. I think had I not discovered her when I did she probably wouldn't have made it. Electrolytes made the difference.

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...Electrolytes made the difference.

[​IMG]

10. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I am glad she is doing better. The poor girl needs a wig or better yet, ask Granny to make a bonnet for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: