Treating water to prevent algae growth

w8tn4fresheggs

Songster
13 Years
Mar 24, 2007
Nebraska
I have a 5 gallon heated water bucket. It has nipples on it and the girls use it fine. I noticed one time that it kinda got yucky on the bottom. I don't fill the bucket, just enough for a few days.

I usually dump and put in fresh water every couple of days to prevent this.

I plan on going out of town for 5 days and filling the bucket up to at least almost full. Is there something I can put in the water to prevent any growth of stuff? I would like to know if anyone treats water to prevent this. I also have it covered to keep rain, leaves etc. from getting in it. Is this helping the growth?

I am having a neighbor come and check on the girls, but really don't want her to have to do much for them. Just check on them. Otherwise I can have her dump it out.

Thanks, Steph

i dont' know about treating it. i will say that my water buckets that get any amount of sun will get algae while the ones that are in the shade never ever ever get it no matter what.

i'm seeing less algae since I started using apple cider vinegar and a clove of peeled garlic in the waterer (things I do for the digestion/circulation/immune system of the chickens, but I think it keeps down algae/bacterial growth too, which is also good for the health of the chickens, right? :) ).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. The vineger and garlic is worth a shot. Can't hurt anyway. The bucket is in a shady spot, so it wouldn't be from the sun. That is good to know though. Thanks again. Steph

OK, There is a target on my back but here goes. The thing in city water that stops algae is Chlorine so a little in the water will stop the algae for a while. How much ? Idunno. The engineer on my boat used to treat the potable water tanks with it to stop the algae. so it works and I am still here.

A few drops of liquid chlorine(or powder) would help a small waterer but not too much to make it smell like a swiming pool.

Randy

Before I started putting apple cider vinegar in the waterer, it was always kind of smelly when I'd change the water - after only a couple of days! Since using ACV, there's no smell or yuck.
smile.png

Quote:
This does work but you run the risk of giving the chickens 'the squirts'. Not only that, but in an open container, chlorine will naturally dissapate over about 24 hours.

The best thing you can do is keep that waterer out of sunlight and below 70 degrees. Another trick I've used with ponds is barley hay; it's got some kind of enzymes in it that algae doesn't like. Also, if your container allows light through it (light colored plastic) paint the outside of it or wrap it with something that will block the light. Keep in mind what ever you wrap it with will need to be non-toxic too as chickens will taste anything.

DeeDee, Thanks. He was such a great little Roo. Unfortunately, he is no longer living. Shortly after I gave him away to a good home, he disappeared.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom