Treatment for Chicken with a hurt leg...

SunriseKerry

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
I have a 9 month old white leghorn that appears to have a hurt leg. She was chased by a dog two days ago. Dog caught her with his paws and pinned her down, never got teeth on her. I can't find any wounds and her bones and joints appear to be in the right places and no obvious swelling, but she doesn't want to walk or put weight on it. She's eating and drinking and pooping okay.

Anything I can do for her? Or just let her be until she heals? i have her in a large rabbit hutch by herself in a warm place at the moment.

Thank you!

A calm, safe, warm environment is probably best. Provide plenty of vitamin rich foods, a soft and easy to grip floor and don't allow her to run, struggle or jump until it has a chance to heal some. I've had a chicken with an injury like your hens and he got better in a few days (he slept in a crate at night so he wouldn't try to jump up and down from the perch).

I hope your hen starts feeling better soon.
smile.png

Keep her quiet and confined for a few days than start seeing if you can get her to start moving and using it a bit, but rest is your best option. I had a dog do that to a hen years ago, I ended up making her a sling to hang her above the ground, and gave her physical therapy, she eventually got better but always had a limp.

Back
Top Bottom