treats and toys

imaduck

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Mount Vernon, Washington
i have explored the page describing treats for chickens and am very grateful for the information (plus i like the pictures at the bottom of the page). in addition to food treats, do your chicks have some favorite toys? things to entertain them and occupy their time? my little girls get very involved in arranging the shavings and decorating their brooder, so i thought they might like something more fun to do with their time...
smile.png

I have a small hard plastic cat toy with a bell inside in their brooder. They love it. When I hear the bell ring I know that they're playing!

I tried a mirror with a bell on the bottom, a parrot toy.
Mine ignored it after the terror of deciding if it was dangerous.
So far some perches/branches from the yard and things to taste are the favorites.

Quote:
Oh- that is a good idea!, I am new to the chicken family, we are getting a few chicks this weekend...I was wondering what they could play with! Any other ideas?
thumbsup.gif

IMHO, the best "toy" to give them is short trips outside when the weather allows. The great outdoors is their natural enviroment and they'll have a blast learning all about it.
Mama Hen doesn't keep her babies under her wings at all times. She lets them explore.

great ideas!!! can't wait to try some of these ideas...

how old until they start getting playful? a couple weeks?

really cool. so I'll get some fun things out as soon as they arrive then! toilet paper roll sounds good.. and I think I have the cat toy you all referred to. woopie!!!
smile.png

thanks for all the great ideas! i will be taking them outside as soon as i can. we've had only one nice day with warm weather when i could take them outside the last couple of weeks, and now we're having a yucky rain storm... so, soon
smile.png
but in the meanwhile, i will see if our cats will part with a ball and rustle up a paper towel tube (that's one of my dog's favorite toys, too).

Back
Top Bottom