Treats for 3 week old chicks?

I mashed dried meal worms in my hand. Now at 7 weeks they freak over meal worms. I started ringing a bell when it was treat time, now then run in the pen for treats when I ring a bell. Yes, they are trainable. TSC has them, and Lowes has them in the birdfood section.

My chicks go absolutely crazy for June bugs. They got their first one at about 1 week old; had to work at bashing it up some in order to eat it, but they were very excited to do so. I can't stand to touch the things, but my b/f holds one out to them. One chick grabs it, then the others chase her trying to steal it. Anyway, if you can get your hands on June bugs, and can stand to touch them, they will make you a very popular person with your chicks.

I put my hands into my 3 week old's brooder every day and they still scatter to the other side. I picked one of my GSL's up and you would think I told her I was going to chop her head off! And their "talons" are pretty sharp! I think I read somewhere that you can trim them. Maybe if they eventually like me picking them up and stay calm I won't have to do that. I hope they end this stage soon!! I keep telling my DH that they hate me!!

I started mine at 2.5-3 weeks old last year with zucchini quartered lengthwise. Then they moved on to yellow squash, cucumbers, watermelon, bananas, halved cherry tomatoes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom