Treats for ducks- how much is too much?

tatswell

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Southern New England
Hello-
My two ducks love tomatoes and worms, of course. How many/much is too much? I usually give them 3-4 cherry tomatoes each per day. They free range in the backyard where there is a stream (I assume they sometimes catch the minnows) and my garden and an abundance of worms.
They don't eat a lot of leafy greens- mostly their layer pellets, worms, and tomatoes, and whatever they catch or nibble on in the stream. Do you suppose this is a decent diet? Should I add to it? :)

I ask myself similar questions, and what I come back to is the question of how healthy they seem. Do they lay eggs with strong shells, are they perky, content, with shiny feathers that shed water?

Do they heal quickly? Have infrequent health problems?

Ducks are good at self regulating, so worms and so forth they'll sort out on their own. Tomatoes? mine won't even touch them, i'll be honest i don't treat my ducks, they get a solid diet and free range. In winter i do supplement greens since there are none to be had.

Moderation is good, it's important they eat their staple feed and develop good foraging skills, Amiga has good suggestions, watching your birds is usually your best guide if your on the right track for your flock.
smile.png

I ask myself similar questions, and what I come back to is the question of how healthy they seem. Do they lay eggs with strong shells, are they perky, content, with shiny feathers that shed water?

Do they heal quickly? Have infrequent health problems?

Ducks are good at self regulating, so worms and so forth they'll sort out on their own. Tomatoes? mine won't even touch them, i'll be honest i don't treat my ducks, they get a solid diet and free range. In winter i do supplement greens since there are none to be had.

Moderation is good, it's important they eat their staple feed and develop good foraging skills, Amiga has good suggestions, watching your birds is usually your best guide if your on the right track for your flock.
smile.png

Thanks for the suggestions :)
I am attentive to their health- sometimes overly attentive
sickbyc.gif
Any squeak or hiccup or loud quack gives me a sense of impending doom haha. But this is why I like to hear from more experienced folks with duck children ;)
I know tomatoes are acidic so I try to limit them- so far no problems.
They do free range all day- up and down stream- then come back when it starts to get dark and have their layer pellets for the night.
Which pellets do you feed your ducks?

Oh I'm glad someone else asked this as I've been wondering the same :) we've had our two for about 6 weeks and we estimate they're about 6 months old.

They have their pellets out all day and forage in the garden. They eat lots of slugs. And we probably give them a couple of handfuls of peas each a day and half a corn on the cob each. They love peas and sweet corn so much!

I'm not sure if we're giving them too much but they seem happy and we're getting some yummy eggs!

Will keep monitoring them like advised :) thanks

Back
Top Bottom