Treats for geese?

bearz

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
DS has these 2 geese that he just loves. The girl would curl up in his lap but suddenly they act like they are afraid of him. I'm thinking giving them little treats would warm them up to him again. They are about 5 weeks old, gray toulouse.

What will they love?

Also, how delicate are their tummies?

You can give them fresh greens and pieces of carrots. They love them.
Apples and pears are also great. Once they know what they are,
they will recognize them on sight. Geese tend to get more standoffish
as they get older so spending time with them is paramount. They'll
warm back up with a little time.
They also have tough tummies from eating grass and weeds so
anything green or fruit is not gonna harm them. You can take a full
size, long carrot and they'll play with it. Try it.
You'll have them eating out of your hand in no time.
jim

Thanks so much! I'll cut up some apples in small strips and have him treat them all weekend off and on. I'm sure by Sunday they will be putty in his hands again. Or at least Lucy will! LOL George is a whole nuther story.

I am getting my 2 babies next friday. Africans, they will be 2 days old. Maybe this will also help. Chicks at around 2 weeks seem to go thru afraid of everything stage-do geese do something like that also?? Being a larger bird may mature(mentally) slower. Goose Psyc. 101. Ha!Ha! I am new to geese also. Learning. I googled African Geese and found out all kinds of things on care. What are you feeding your babies? Metzer Farms (duck and geese hatchery) were very helpful for treats and diet.
caf.gif

I agree with jim moose, also although it's pricey, some of the really good brands of whole grain bread will make them love you! Small amounts! I also bake corn bread on occasion for the poultry. No white flour, cornmeal and whole wheat with molasses. Takes 5 minutest to whip up.

My geese love grapes too, of course they have to be halved. lol as for sunflower seeds I add them to their feed everyday, now as for eating them I'm not sure who is since my ducks and chickens share the same feeders. I bet they wood have fun playing with them though.

Back
Top Bottom