Treats?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Went outside to take pictures of the chicks cause two were on the roost and adorable but ended up scaring them off the roost (probably because I've been catching them to bring them in and out, hopefully it will be better when they're outside permanently) so to make up for it I said I'd bring some treats out soo.. What's safe? They're 6 weeks old as of today.

I was thinking possibly scrambled eggs but we only have two left and I wanted to make brownies. I also just made pancakes and I have heard oatmeal is good? We have a pumpkin outside my brother ran over and it's been out there a few days but I could pick the less dirty parts. We also have a bowl of fruit from the store with cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, and watermelon. Mostly melon left. We have a lot of lunch meat and cheese too. And bread. Lots of bread. We do have pasta and crackers and stuff too but I don't really want to make pasta for just them. Granola mix with cranberries, dark chocolate, and almonds. Lots of frozen and canned fruit and canned veggies too. I think we also have some peppers, onions, potatoes, and tomatoes too. Broccoli, carrots too, both "french cut cooking"/matchstix and baby carrots. Please reply ASAP cause I want to give them a treat ASAP hahah

TIA

Oh and we also have cereal too. Raisin bran, cheerios, honey nut cheerio etc

ETA: also actual raw Quaker oats and also dog food?

Last edited:
Treat
Type General Opinions
Apples Raw and applesauce
Apple seeds contain cyanide, but not in sufficient quantities to kill.
Asparagus
Raw or cooked
Okay to feed, but not a favorite.
Bananas Without the peel High in potassium, a good treat.
Beans
Well-cooked only, never dry

Also, greenbeans.
Beets
Greens also.

Berries
All kinds

A treat, especially strawberries.
Breads
All kinds - good use for stale bread or rolls

Feed starches in moderation.
Broccoli & Cauliflower

Tuck into a suet cage and they will pick at it all day.
Cabbage & Brussels Sprouts
Whole head -

Hang a whole cabbage from their coop ceiling in winter so they have something to play with and greens to eat.
Carrots Raw and cooked They like carrot foliage too.
Catfood * (see bottom of page) Wet and dry Feed in strict moderation, perhaps only during moulting * (see bottom of page)
Cereal Cheerios, etc.
Avoid highly sugared cereal such as Cocopuffs, etc.
Cheese Including cottage cheese Feed in moderation, fatty but a good source of protein and calcium
Cooked Chicken
They may like it and it won’t kill them, but it just seems so….. ummm………… wrong.
Corn On cob and canned, raw and cooked
Crickets (alive) Can be bought at bait or pet-supply stores. Great treat – provides protein and it’s fun to watch the chickens catch them.
Cucumbers

Let mature for yummy seeds and flesh.
Eggs Hardcooked and scrambled are a good source of protein, and a favorite treat. Feed cooked eggs only because you don’t want your chickens to start eating their own raw eggs.
Eggplant

Fish / Seafood
Cooked only.

Flowers Make sure they haven't been treated with pesticides, such as florist flowers might be. Marigolds, nasturtiums, pansies, etc.
Fruit Pears, peaches, cherries, apples
Grains Bulgar, flax, niger, wheatberries,etc.
Grapes
Seedless only.
For chicks, cutting them in half makes it easier for them to swallow.
Great fun - the cause of many entertaining "chicken keepaway" games.
Grits Cooked
"Leftovers"
Only feed your chickens that which is still considered edible by humans, don't feed anything spoiled, moldy, oily, salty or unidentifiable.
Lettuce / Kale
Any leafy greens, spinach collards, chickweed included.

A big treat, depending on how much other greenery they have access to.
Mealworms
(see photo after the chart)

Available at pet supply stores or on the internet, although shipping is expensive!
A huge(!) favorite treat, probably the most foolproof treat on the books.
Meat scraps of any kind. Not too fatty. In moderation, a good source of protein
Melon Cantelope, etc. Both seeds and flesh are good chicken treats.
Oatmeal Raw or cooked Cooked is nutritionally better.
Pasta / Macaroni Cooked spaghetti, etc. A favorite treat, fun to watch them eat it, but not much nutrition.
Peas
Peas and pea tendrils and flowers (thanks to YayChick for the advice)

Peppers (bell)

Pomegranates
Raw

Seeds are a big treat.
Popcorn
Popped, no butter, no salt.

Potatos / Sweet Potatos/Yams Cooked only - avoid green parts of peels! Starchy, not much nutrition
Pumpkins / Winter Squash Raw or cooked Both seeds and flesh are a nutritious treat.
Raisins .
Rice
Cooked only

Pilaf mixes are okay too, plain white rice has little nutrition.
Scratch Scratch is cracked corn with grains (such as wheat, oats and rye) mixed in. Scratch is a treat for cold weather, not a complete feed. Toss it on the ground and let them scratch for it for something to do.
Sprouts Wheat and oat sprouts are great! Good for greens in mid-winter.
Summer Squash Yellow squash and zucchini
Yellow squash not a huge favorite, but okay to feed.
Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds with the shell still on is fine to feed, as well as with the shell off.

A good treat, helps hens lay eggs and grow healthy feathers.
Tomatos
Raw and cooked.

Turnips
Cooked.
Not a huge favorite
Watermelon
Served cold, it can keep chickens cool and hydrated during hot summers.
Seeds and flesh are both okay to feed.
Yogurt Plain or flavored
A big favorite and good for their digestive systems. Plain is better.

Any of what you mentioned would do as a treat. Since they are spending time outside they should have been able to pick up some natural grit in the ground, so they will be able to handle it. Uncooked oat meal is good, remember their regular food is uncooked, mostly grains.

Wow thank you both so much for the great info!!!

I made them some oatmeal mixed with fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, strawberry) and a small tomato (not grape but not full size) and some pumpkin puree, cheerios, and dry oats, and I mixed some grit but they don't seem to like it :/ maybe I put too much pumpkin in the oatmeal and.made it taste weird or maybe they don't like just plain oatmeal. I hope they eat it though so I don't waste it. They could also be scared or think it's not food as they've never had treats before. I'll leave it out there and maybe they will eat it tomorrow.

Help! My chickens are addicted to cat food. They have found where we feed our kittens and we are having trouble keeping them in their own pen. I don't really think we could make it entirely escape-proof in our situation. Escaping wasn't a problem until they discovered the cat food. Is there any treat we can give them that would be ok for them that won't make them stop laying? They love love love wild bird seed, but egg production goes way down if they get much of it. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps you could try putting a little bit of cat food in their own pen? Or maybe give them meal worms or something? I'm sorry I don't really know more :/ perhaps somebody else does. The chart above though looks like a really good chart and could maybe help you. Also I could try to take a guess if you want... It could possibly be that besides it simply being delicious they are eating the cat food because they are seeking more protein? Are they molting? Feathers are like 85% protein so it could be that. Or they just like it. But even if they're not molting they could be wanting protein. I'm assuming they're not free range but how big is their pen? Like are there bugs and stuff or not really? You could try a higher protein food perhaps or higher fat maybe or just give good treats. I've heard black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) are good but not really sure why. Some are better than others, Dr Foster & Smith seems to be excellent, minimal debris and stuff, but it's fairly expensive I think so any BOSS should do. But also bugs. You can buy dried meal worms at grocery stores, pet stores, etc. But pet stores also sell frozen and not sure about live. But you can buy live ones, as well as tons of other bugs, online. Pet stores also sell crickets which I hear are good protein and good entertainment for both the birds and you. As for the online thing, tons of places have them but from what I've seen, both examining the website myself and hearing comments, Rainbow Mealworms is an excellent source and they even have a section for chickens. Some people may not want live bugs though, which is understandable since it's kinda gross, but it's real simple and small container, but dried works just as well or crickets. Oh and also fishing stores/bait shops usually carry worms but I don't know if some of the seaworms and stuff would be safe for chickens. You could also dig up some plain old earthworms for them haha they could also possibly be bored. I would try putting some stumps ladders, swings, branches, whatever really, for entertainment. But again these are all just guesses and my first chicks are only 6 weeks old so I really can't say for sure, sorry :/

Back
Top Bottom