treats?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maxh122801, Mar 31, 2015.

1. maxh122801

maxh122801 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    I have 4 baby chicks about 1 week and 1 day old. I was wondering if there's and alternative food to give than as a treat?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My personal opinion and advice is, don't mess with the balanced nutrition in chick starter feed. It contains all the nutrients birds of that age are known to need in the proper proportions.
    Adding treats, however nutritious, messes with that balance and for baby chicks can offset a lot of nutrition.
    I don't feed anything but chicken feed until they start foraging. I don't add treats until they're about 3 months old or more.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I agree with ChickenCanoe. I would avoid adding any treats until the chicks are at least a couple of weeks old (and I don't give my chicks treats until they are at least 3 months old). When you do start giving treats, make sure that they don't make up any more than 10% of the diet. Otherwise, they may not get the nutrition that they need.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I agree with ChickenCanoe and Wyandottes7. Good luck with your chicks!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. ChickenCanoe and Wyandottes7 have given you some good advice. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet all of a chicken's nutritional needs. Some occasional seeds, greens, etc. is fine, but feeding them too many treats will produce fat and unhealthy chickens. It's the equivalent of us eating potato chips and candy bars. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck with your chicks.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] congrats on your new baby chicks.

I agree that chick starter is complete. If you feel compelled to give treats, let the youngest one get a week old and try a few dried mealie worms, but if you do, add chick grit to their feeder mixed with feed.

Old timers fed chickens alternative foods, and they were not as healthy as the ones we raise now.

Good luck with your new flock.

If you have not already done so, visit the learning center articles on raising baby chicks.

Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oatmeal and scramble egg are the best treats to feed them up until they are around 4 weeks old. Then they can have foods like veggies, breads, fruits, etc.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I feel giving treats is like kids with candy. Kids don't want nutritious food just the candy and other stuff. My friend has 5 house chickens and she makes special treats for them - they eat better than she does. Of course they turn their beaks away from proper chicken feed. Her dog won't eat dog food either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by