treats?

maxh122801

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2015
I have 4 baby chicks about 1 week and 1 day old. I was wondering if there's and alternative food to give than as a treat?

My personal opinion and advice is, don't mess with the balanced nutrition in chick starter feed. It contains all the nutrients birds of that age are known to need in the proper proportions.
Adding treats, however nutritious, messes with that balance and for baby chicks can offset a lot of nutrition.
I don't feed anything but chicken feed until they start foraging. I don't add treats until they're about 3 months old or more.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I agree with ChickenCanoe. I would avoid adding any treats until the chicks are at least a couple of weeks old (and I don't give my chicks treats until they are at least 3 months old). When you do start giving treats, make sure that they don't make up any more than 10% of the diet. Otherwise, they may not get the nutrition that they need.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. ChickenCanoe and Wyandottes7 have given you some good advice. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet all of a chicken's nutritional needs. Some occasional seeds, greens, etc. is fine, but feeding them too many treats will produce fat and unhealthy chickens. It's the equivalent of us eating potato chips and candy bars. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck with your chicks.

welcome-byc.gif
congrats on your new baby chicks.

I agree that chick starter is complete. If you feel compelled to give treats, let the youngest one get a week old and try a few dried mealie worms, but if you do, add chick grit to their feeder mixed with feed.

Old timers fed chickens alternative foods, and they were not as healthy as the ones we raise now.

Good luck with your new flock.

If you have not already done so, visit the learning center articles on raising baby chicks.

Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oatmeal and scramble egg are the best treats to feed them up until they are around 4 weeks old. Then they can have foods like veggies, breads, fruits, etc.

I feel giving treats is like kids with candy. Kids don't want nutritious food just the candy and other stuff. My friend has 5 house chickens and she makes special treats for them - they eat better than she does. Of course they turn their beaks away from proper chicken feed. Her dog won't eat dog food either.

Back
Top Bottom