Trector supply coop roosts question.

Jscoulson

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
I am setting up my first coop. Someone was really kind and gave me a coop, it was originally from tractor supply. I have some concerns about it though. The roosts are not raised at all. There are two of them and they just kind of run along the floor about 2 inches above the floor. There doesn't really seem to be any place I could attach them above and I don't think there is enough headspace if I did raise the roosts. It is only about 36inches high at its peak . I am concerned about the space as well. I have six chickens and this is only about a 3x4 space and the nesting boxes are in that 3x4 space, they don't stick out on the side. The person I got it from said the roosts worked just fine for them. But I am concerned, any thoughts?

IMG_20210413_154044096_HDR.jpg

Yes, you are right to be concerned. These little, prefab coops are known for these issues. They lack ventilation, the roosts are too low, and they hold at best half the chickens they claim to hold. :(

Some people modify their prefabs to work better like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/ Still, a free coop is a free coop and will serve while you're figuring out your long-term plans. :D

What are your chickens currently living in? Maybe you could add the two structures together somehow?

Yes, you are right to be concerned. These little, prefab coops are known for these issues. They lack ventilation, the roosts are too low, and they hold at best half the chickens they claim to hold. :(

Some people modify their prefabs to work better like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/ Still, a free coop is a free coop and will serve while you're figuring out your long-term plans. :D

What are your chickens currently living in? Maybe you could add the two structures together somehow?
Ooo that's an awesome redesign! We just might do that! Thank you. My chickens have been in a 3X4 shipping create. I think I probably could just add it on. It's very sturdy.

You can improvise to make a roosting bar stand with stabling base bars. 18 in high with 18 in headroom.

You can improvise to make a roosting bar stand with stabling base bars. 18 in high with 18 in headroom.
That's a good idea. I think we might redesign the whole thing, but stilk do a temporary stand like roost till we finish.

Back
Top Bottom