tree hugging city slickers createing rules for the farmers

mick&cori :

OMGOSH!! I'm so with you!! I moved from the city to the country. I love the country.

Some folk want our eggs, our beef, our vegetables, etc. Then they want to complain about the poop that.comes along with the job. I've had it!

The worst part is that A LOT of people don't even know what they are missing. They think the CRAP they buy in the stores is normal. I gave a woman at work a pound of our corn-fed ground ANGUS beef, she told me that she thought it tasted weird and "How come there wasn't a lot of fat dripping off of it?"
idunno.gif
REALLY?!?!!?

Wait until they start selling cloned meat in the stores! I personally would rather eat the manure from my cows than any CLONED MEAT!
sickbyc.gif

(OK that's really gross... I would rather not eat manure at all - which is why we farm!)

Gee. I don't see a lot of fat dripping off the beef I buy. Quite the contrary. I don't think you need to worry about cloned meat any time soon, though. Cloning is very expensive and is used to perpetuate really superior breeding stock. A clone is an exact genetic replica of its mother. Nothing more, nothing less. Why that is gross is beyond me. But then I am old enough to remember a lot of hoo haw about artificial insemination, too.​

Did you hear about the one where they are trying to make farmers get CDL's, health exams and other things just to road their equipment down the road or haul their crop to market or transport any sale animals?
Now that is a pile of manure.

How about the people moving to the country and complaining about the smell of the chemicals used to grow the crops or fertilizer?
The ones wanting the EPA to control the dust raised by farm equipment going through the fields?

There are dumb inconsiderate people everywhere, city or country. Only seems like there's more in the city b/c there are so many more people there.
wink.png

Inconsiderate is a mild word for how I feel about Big Brother sticking his nose in my life.

Here in CA a bill was recently passed that makes it illegal to sell or give away your pets offpsring on street corners, in front of grocery stores, etc. That means that all the farmers who use the corner oh Phelan Rd and Baldy Mesa can no longer sell their chicks, eggs, kids, ponies, etc. The little kid looking for a puppy will now have to go somewhere and PAY for one.

But what really angers me is that part of the bill makes it illegal for anyone without a meat processing license to process their own meat. And to have a meat processing license you must be an employer that solely processes meat for public consumption.

rant.gif

I just wonder how they are going to enforce it. Kitchen police?

Quote:
Are you sure that's a state-wide policy on meat processing? I know LOTS of Californians who process their own meat. Chickens, goats, whatever, all up and down the state, from Redding to Chico to Sacramento, to Merced and Fresno to Bakersfield and beyond. We are fixin' to process some of our own chickens in the fall, as well.

I process my own eggs. I pull them out of the nest and crack 'em open into a pan. LOL. Am I breaking the law, or just the eggshell?
wink.png

It's unfortunate that a small handful of people have abused "street corner sales" to the point that politicians felt they have had to make these rules/laws to keep abusive people from selling abused animals on street corners. I used to buy fresh produce from guys on the corner but I never see them anymore... now I know why. I think safe food practices are a good thing overall, but too much of a good thing is still TOO MUCH.

Got a friend who was hauling a couple of bulls to the sale yard and got pulled over by the GVW guy, who then ticketed him for being too heavy; he's using his own 1 ton pickup and a gooseneck trailer; no brakes, trailer was built without them, and he was suppose to have one on each wheel;
roll.png
and couple other stupid things.

debiraymond you know they are just protecting us from ourselves because we are children and need to be monitored and have our hand held. I'm being sarcastic.

the selling of produce or farm products from road side stands - corporate america is trying to stop that. they say that the road side markets are cutting into their profits and forceing them to sell at a higher price because they have more waste. Less sales means they have to layoff employees. basically grocery stores and wholesalers are looseing money. So they pay money to people to bribe lawmakers into passing bills that support them and put the competition out of business. Next with processing meat - commercial slaughter houses have alot of requirements to meet regulations. If you don't and do your own they loose money. So they are smart enough to tell the politicians that we are not smart enough to slaughter our own and we can get sick, we can eat contaminated food.

You would think there is only a handful of people doing their own chickens or buying a few animals from local farms and going to the local butcher shop(which doesn't have to have a USDA inspector standing there, because it is for personal consumption not resale). So what is the big deal. When you add up the couple people here and couple there, it turns into billions of dollars. This is money not going into their pockets. So it is beneficial for them to pay millions of dollars to lobbyists to stop the industry. While none of us think about it, they are working behind the scenes. Then when the law is passed, we all sit back and say how could they do that without us knowing it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sorry but making sure you are hauling stuff safely is very much the governments business. Driving an overweight trailer without brakes is dangerous not just to the person doing it but to others on the road. The original OP complaint has some validity. They seem to be stuck with a regulation that should apply to a larger facility.

Haven't some of the salmonella outbreaks in the past few years been caused by animal manure runoff into crop irrigation water?

Back
Top Bottom