tree hugging city slickers createing rules for the farmers

Quote:
I knew you were being sarcastic. The other part of that law is you can't "transfer" animals. Really? I'll be doing it Saturday when I go to the rabbit show. The only thing that saves us is we are an LLC. WOOT!

Idiot politicians.

Quote:
I'm sorry but making sure you are hauling stuff safely is very much the governments business. Driving an overweight trailer without brakes is dangerous not just to the person doing it but to others on the road. The original OP complaint has some validity. They seem to be stuck with a regulation that should apply to a larger facility.

Haven't some of the salmonella outbreaks in the past few years been caused by animal manure runoff into crop irrigation water?

I will agree with a trailer haveing breaks. But the CDL is not required by law depending on state. NJ I do not need a CDL under 26,000lbs nor do I need commercial tags. I have Farm tags. I do not need a driver physical either, but in PA I need the Physical. They are suppose to honor the parent states laws. However most police do not know all or half the laws they enforce. If you or I break the law unknowingly, ignorance is allowed. If the Officer does not know the law and which is a form of ignorance it is ok. You just have to go to court plead your case and they drop the ticket. Which in my book the officer or state should pay me a days wages for the inconvience of going to court when I wasn't wrong. But it doesn't work that way because officers error on the side of justice.

the samonella outbreaks mainly came from farms in AZ. I don't know if you have ever seen them out there. But they make veggies grow in the desert where nothing else will. The irrigation they use travels through canals all across the desert. You won't find any cows roaming around there If I remember right it had something to with the handleing of the produce during and after harvest

Quote:
I'm sorry but making sure you are hauling stuff safely is very much the governments business. Driving an overweight trailer without brakes is dangerous not just to the person doing it but to others on the road. The original OP complaint has some validity. They seem to be stuck with a regulation that should apply to a larger facility.

Haven't some of the salmonella outbreaks in the past few years been caused by animal manure runoff into crop irrigation water?

I will agree with a trailer haveing breaks. But the CDL is not required by law depending on state. NJ I do not need a CDL under 26,000lbs nor do I need commercial tags. I have Farm tags. I do not need a driver physical either, but in PA I need the Physical. They are suppose to honor the parent states laws. However most police do not know all or half the laws they enforce. If you or I break the law unknowingly, ignorance is allowed. If the Officer does not know the law and which is a form of ignorance it is ok. You just have to go to court plead your case and they drop the ticket. Which in my book the officer or state should pay me a days wages for the inconvience of going to court when I wasn't wrong. But it doesn't work that way because officers error on the side of justice.

the samonella outbreaks mainly came from farms in AZ. I don't know if you have ever seen them out there. But they make veggies grow in the desert where nothing else will. The irrigation they use travels through canals all across the desert. You won't find any cows roaming around there If I remember right it had something to with the handleing of the produce during and after harvest

I didn't follow the outbreaks that closely. Seemed like they had a hard time tracking down the source and ended up destroying the tomato industry for a season. Then found out it was celery or something. I just remember hearing a couple times about runoff from some herd animal in feedlots or something causing contamination.

Don't know nothing about CDL's. Just commenting on an overweight trailer without brakes to control it in an emergency stop. I know a lot of the enforcement is for revenue but if they didn't do something it would get out of control and trucks are already dangerous enough. I know the drivers are generally much better trained and safe than the general public, but if a truck loses control it can do really serious damage.

Quote:
on that sentiment, you'll like this article. I LOVE it!

The Redneck Stonehenge.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397625,00.html

lol.png

Quote:
Yes that's a bunch of bull.

City people need to stay in the city if they don't like it. Pretty Simple.

In TX we have what is called and exempted license. Yes you have to take a written test to make sure you know about hauling larger loads and then you have to take a driving test to ensure you know how to handle the class of vehicle you want to drive. The difference between it and a CDL? It costs the same as a regular driver license, you get all of the same treatment as a regular license and you get to drive commercial vehicle safely. Making them get CDL's and health tests is a bit extream but I do like the exempt license because I know you are qualified to handle and know the dangers of larger vehicles.

Dunkopf I agree about the truck safety issue. I visited my brother in lower GA last year and got to see back road tractor trailers for hauling lumber. I couldn't believe it. They would be impounded within 50ft of hitting a highway here. My brother said the police overlook the logging trucks because they get pretty beat up in the woods. 1 truck had a headlight duct taped to the hood that was duct taped to the truck. I notice because it was raining cats and dogs and I saw cyclopse driving up behind me like it was the daytona 500. I believe in safe, not CDL requirements for a Pick up with a stock trailer weighing less then 26,000lbs. Cause even if you are under 26,000lbs but the truck is registered at 15,000lbs and you are over 15,000lbs. you are fined for overweight

My husband was telling me that here in Kansas they are wanting to require you to have a CDL if you have a vehicle that is capable of hauling. You don't even have to have a trailer or if your trailer is empty.

It is crazy!

Btw: I am currently a city slicker, but I would not be one of those types when I move to the country.
wink.png

Quote:
Are you sure that's a state-wide policy on meat processing? I know LOTS of Californians who process their own meat. Chickens, goats, whatever, all up and down the state, from Redding to Chico to Sacramento, to Merced and Fresno to Bakersfield and beyond. We are fixin' to process some of our own chickens in the fall, as well.

I process my own eggs. I pull them out of the nest and crack 'em open into a pan. LOL. Am I breaking the law, or just the eggshell?
wink.png

It's unfortunate that a small handful of people have abused "street corner sales" to the point that politicians felt they have had to make these rules/laws to keep abusive people from selling abused animals on street corners. I used to buy fresh produce from guys on the corner but I never see them anymore... now I know why. I think safe food practices are a good thing overall, but too much of a good thing is still TOO MUCH.

yuckyuck.gif
Love the egg comment! And I agree, the rules are good to an extent, but lately it does go a little too far.

Quote:
can we still buy at the flea market if not imma bust heads in, and soon i really need 30 chickens, luckily my momma we just bought some hens from behind a small grocery store the other day good thing no cops were there, can we still buy fresh veggies on corner stop

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes that's a bunch of bull.

City people need to stay in the city if they don't like it. Pretty Simple.

In TX we have what is called and exempted license. Yes you have to take a written test to make sure you know about hauling larger loads and then you have to take a driving test to ensure you know how to handle the class of vehicle you want to drive. The difference between it and a CDL? It costs the same as a regular driver license, you get all of the same treatment as a regular license and you get to drive commercial vehicle safely. Making them get CDL's and health tests is a bit extream but I do like the exempt license because I know you are qualified to handle and know the dangers of larger vehicles.

Sounds like a good idea.

I agree that quite often legislators in general make laws that are (one size fits all), and they don't work very well.

Back
Top Bottom