Tree in the run no more

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harveyhorses, Jul 2, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    So, I had a decent mimosa tree just about dead center in my run, it gave some shade, so it stayed and I wrapped the wire roof around it. So far so good, right? Nope, I had not noticed, or paid much attention to the fact that it forked just above the wire. Thursday it split off. Not a horrible mess, and I had been thinking of taking it down, when the wind blew it stretched the wire. Tarp was all torn up, hardware cloth and chicken wire mangled. The wire was nasty, in the process of cleaning it up a piece of it managed to wrap around me like a rug. minor scrapes and bruises, the girls are all fine, no more tree, now I need some shade cloth.
    Hope everyone elses trees stay whole.

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken wire is a beast to deal with. I've experienced the whole wrapped up like a rug thing. It sucks. [​IMG]

Glad your girls are okay. Hope you heal up okay from the chicken wire.

Blessings-
    Em

3. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Yep, it did! My family had just pulled out of the driveway, and I had the horrible 'this is how they will find the body' moment.[​IMG] Then I was glad they had gone because they are a camera happy bunch! [​IMG]
    Really surprised at how much shade we lost. Grrr.
    Oh and if you ever need help with a project my girls are HAPPY to help, look at this sparly tape measure, hey this ladder would make a great roost, I don't like this song (my ipod touch) what's in this bag? Now that it is put back together I can see the humor in it.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yesterdays winds destroyed and mangled the kids wooden swingset($800 down the drain).

We use shade cloth in the run. We bought a 8x10 at fleet farm. It's okay, not as nice as a tree. On super hot days I add an extra tarp on the run. Yesterday I brought my girls inside in the basement. I only have 8 and they fit in two xl kennels side by side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by