Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
Today, I am not boiling. I went to check and I only have about 15 gallons of concentrate.
Possibly, because of my storage screw up, but mainly because my pump from Northern Tools screwed up. I wasted about 6 gallons of sap, the pump sprung a leak and dumped oil into the leaked sap.

I am still down to one storage barrel for raw sap and one for concentrate. I was putting the permeate in buckets. Somehow the change hurt me.

well finished my first boil yesterday. took i want to say maybe 7 hours from start to finish. got 3 cups of syrup.

the taste, was really very sweet, almost a caramel flavor? a bit smoky as well. (but that was due to the fire).

very happy with the out come. collecting more sap, hoping to get enough for one more good boil.

I'd be boiling as there's 360 gal in the totes, but the valves and surrounding areas are froze solid. Can't empty the tanks. Temps today are supposed to get to around 37°, but its windy. Hopefully the valve body and valve will thaw out this afternoon.

Yep, looks like Saturday or Sunday will be your end too.

It’s been a poor season here. One guy that taps 450 trees has gotten only 30 gallons and he bought a new arch thinking he would get rich expanding to that many trees.

The sun just came out, that should help us.
Well my friend had 50 gallons made last weeknd and a boil to go He does not seem impressed with this season. Actually he sounds really bummed this year.
I asked how many gallons sap per gallon best hes had is 38 ,worst is 78. So I had it wrong before.

Latest report from friend hes done about 3800 gallons. 700 to boil down not sur if that is part of 3800. Hoping for run today. Looks to be end of it.
Overall sugar content down making for crappy year.
He still need to reheat, caramelize, some blending like and dark and bottle.
He averages 60 gallon hour boil off using firewood, can go 90 to 100 humping and using fan input for hotter fire.
His system from head tank alot is automatic. Using float valves and other devices. Aside from throwing the firewood. He cuts alot of firewood in summer.

Not a happy camper. Someone has been messing with our mainline. Yesterday morning the sap was running out of the mainline like a garden hose. Emptied the full tank ar 9AM.
Went back around 3, and no sap. Found two spots where the hose clamp was completely removed, and the mainline was running onto the ground. Hose clamps were know where to be found. Prob lost 600+ gal of sap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom