Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
A 3x12 is 700 - 1000 taps. You would need at least two, if not three people to run that. Our 3x8 is extremely challenging with one person.
If there's two floats, its most likely a raised flue pan.
It does not appear to be a raised flue pan.

I know it is way bigger than I need. I am going to try and lease some trees next year. Someplace I can run permanent lines.

I am thinking of adding a little to the top of the flue pan to make it a tad wider so the divided pan sets inside and on top of the flue.

I am learning about birch syrup as I go.

It should not boil —-much— use the RO to bring it as the sugar content as high as possible.

Then filter and boil until you begin to see niter, filter, bring to a boil and filter.

From that point heat it under a boil. Many have a double boiler. The flue pan would become a double boiler bottom.

I will silver soldier the addition on incase my idea fails I can remove it. However, I can’t see the addition would hurt the flues purposes.

There appears to be a pipe that runs from the float through the flat pan and into the flue pan for filling it. I assume it pre warms the sap before dumping it in the flue.

It is in the first channel of the flat pan. I assume that may cool the first channel some, but not very much.

I will have to make sure I leave enough room for the steam to escape, I really don’t want flying shrapnel in my building.

A 3x12 is 700 - 1000 taps. You would need at least two, if not three people to run that. Our 3x8 is extremely challenging with one person.
If there's two floats, its most likely a raised flue pan.

2 is always easier even with my little stuff.

I am adding enough pumps to move the sap easy enough, but keeping the fire box full is a full time job. It’s amazing how much wood they can burn!

Do you have air infused into the arch? I have been reading on that. I am thinking of adding a blower under the fire box with lines up the arch to mess with the air flow and get a second burn. I might add a thermometer to the stack.

Are the flues up inside the pan, or do they extend down 6"?

The float box should have 2 inlets. One goes to the front left, the other goes to the front right in the fue pan. You block off one of the inlets depending on which side of the syrup pan you draw from.

2 is always easier even with my little stuff.

I am adding enough pumps to move the sap easy enough, but keeping the fire box full is a full time job. It’s amazing how much wood they can burn!

Do you have air infused into the arch? I have been reading on that. I am thinking of adding a blower under the fire box with lines up the arch to mess with the air flow and get a second burn. I might add a thermometer to the stack.
Yes the arch has a blower on the back side. It definitely helps

The flues go down, I will post pictures when I get them unloaded. The flue pan has lots of niter build up on it but no rust that I could see.

I will get it shiny again.
Then its a drop flue pan. Should have one float box towards the rear of the pan. Most are on the right side of the pan.

It does not appear to be a raised flue pan.

I know it is way bigger than I need. I am going to try and lease some trees next year. Someplace I can run permanent lines.

I am thinking of adding a little to the top of the flue pan to make it a tad wider so the divided pan sets inside and on top of the flue.

I am learning about birch syrup as I go.

It should not boil —-much— use the RO to bring it as the sugar content as high as possible.

Then filter and boil until you begin to see niter, filter, bring to a boil and filter.

From that point heat it under a boil. Many have a double boiler. The flue pan would become a double boiler bottom.

I will silver soldier the addition on incase my idea fails I can remove it. However, I can’t see the addition would hurt the flues purposes.

There appears to be a pipe that runs from the float through the flat pan and into the flue pan for filling it. I assume it pre warms the sap before dumping it in the flue.

It is in the first channel of the flat pan. I assume that may cool the first channel some, but not very much.

I will have to make sure I leave enough room for the steam to escape, I really don’t want flying shrapnel in my building.
You are one handy and knowledgeable guy . I do not impress easily but I am impressed .

Back
Top Bottom