Trees/Bushes for Chicken Run

Any idea on the best trees/bushes items to put in my chicken run?
I think the barreness of it sort of leads to the pecking... but it is only 5'6" tall - so not sure what I can get in there?
I would like some trees/bushes they can snack on and nest in but not ruin - and any idea for other items I can put in that they would enjoy?
Oh, and I need something that won't die in the NY winter, please.

I have an old tree "root" system leaning up against the fence and they climb on it, hide behind it and eat the bugs that try to infest it. I also put an old log in; 2 old tires filled with sand, peat and soil for a bath; straw to let them scratch through; and hanging suet feeders with treats. Three quarters of the fenced in run is lined with white plastic lattice on the inside. It seems to brighten up the area.

How may hens and how big is your run? I have 8 hens with a 300 sq.ft. enclosed run and a 1000 sq.ft. fenced in free range area. There is a lot of stuff to keep them occupied. I'm not sure adding shrubbery will stop the pecking. If your girls stay in the run, maybe giving the "pecked on" hens a place to escape might be worth while.

I hope you have success.

Anne

P.S. I live in Southeastern PA​

I have 13 hens total - 8 standards and 5 bantams.

My run is approximately 250 sq ft. Their coop is about 56 sq ft. I am planning on pissing my husband off next year and making it bigger
smile.png

Right now nothing it in it except for a few perches, which recently just got ripped out from our last storm
sad.png

I am having hubby bring an old tire home from work. About 60 sq feet of the run is under my sun room and is covered in sand - providing shade and shelter from the elements.

I guess I will head out into the back of the property and just pull some more fallen trees out, and see if I can get mulberry trees and grape vines. My run is actually covered in the hardwire cloth as well - since I am terrified to lose my girls to a hawk or something of the like.

Does anyone know if I can get 2 varieties of grapes? Or do they have to be keps entirely separate? Or can they eventually intertwine together?

Also... I am looking into some dwarf trees... 10' is fine, I will put right outside the run but it seems cherries are toxic and other seeds contain cyanide? Any suggestions on a safe fruit tree? My kids like apples, cherries, oranges and bananas.
hmm.png

Quote:
Yes, you can plant two or more varieties in close proximity. I have two Thompson Seedless and one Flame Seedless planted in the run. This winter we're going to plant yet another variety on the other side of the coop. If you're interested in dwarf trees, or trees that fit into smaller spaces, google "Backyard Orchard Culture." You can read about pruning to keep just about any fruit tree small.

Back
Top Bottom