trees to grow in a chicken coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bluey25, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Bluey25

Bluey25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    I everyone i have just joined abd i am hoping someone can help me.We have just made a chicken coop and i need some advise what trees can i grow.I have an ornamental pear tree cleveland and was hoping i could put i in the coop.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

Most report that chickens will not eat harmful plants/fruits if they free range, but if they are confined that can be a different issue. My small flock live confined and anything that is green and close to the run gets eaten. Im not positive about ornamental pears, but you can search the toxicity to be sure. And if you do place it it in the run…..be sure to protect the roots from them at least until it is large enough to survive the scratching,bathing around it….once it is well established, they are not likely to harm the tree. But if you plan to leave it in a pot in the run, likely you will loose the tree.

Whatever you plant in the run area will attract them, especially if you add mulch, they seem to know that's the best place to dig and turn. Some chicken wire around the new plants can protect them until they are large enough.

Good luck with the landscaping ideas.

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome! I'm sure that you are asking about planting your tree in the run, rather than the actual coop since the coop is usually the closed in part of the setup. Please remember one thing about trees in a chicken run - a tree makes a wonderful access point for predators. If there are other trees nearby they can get access to the one in your run by simply moving from one to the other. Of course that's if the trees are large enough so that the canopies are close. I've seen young, lighter weight raccoons jump from one tree branch to a branch in a neighboring tree. And hawks would have no problem landing in your run tree and swooping down from it. Just something to think about - not likely when the tree is young but as it gets bigger, it's a possibility. Also smaller birds can transmit mites, etc, to your birds. It would be almost impossible to cover your run to prevent them with a tree in the middle of it.

Pear trees can get really big, really fast. They have an upright growing habit rather than having the canopy spread out, and that's true of both eating pears and ornamental ones. This is our pear tree after just a few years, and it's pruned and topped out regularly.

[​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I have Peach, Apple and Cyprus in mine. We harvest the peaches and apples and the chicklets get the ones on the ground [​IMG]

[​IMG] Cheers from Ohio! [​IMG]Glad you could join us! [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by