Trichomoniasis Duck

Thank you! I have the 60mg powder that comes with a 1gr scoop. Each duck is about 1.7 kg.
I found information on using Ronidazole Powder 60mg/g in pigeons and other "non-food birds"

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/ronidazole

I would follow this advice on dosing

Cure: For large birds, Mix 1 teaspoon into 1 gallon of water for Budgerigars and larger birds and fancy pigeons. Treat for 7 days. Racing pigeons treat for 7 days every other week for a total of two doses.

Cure: For small birds, finches and canaries: Mix 1 teaspoon into 1 quart of water and give for 7 days.

Preventive: May be given 4 times throughout the year and should always be given to the babies after fledging the nest.

Mix fresh daily, and remove all other source of water.

Can Be Used With :

Amtyl, vitamins, calcium

Side Effects:

Notes:

Ronidazole is safe to use during any stage of the breeding cycle. It is best to treat before setting the birds up for breeding. If you start losing babies in the nest then give the Ronidazole to the parents they will give it to the babies. If you have sick birds we recommend giving Amtyl also mixed with Ronidazole for 7 days.

Always be sure to give a probiotic such as Probiotic Plus for 3 to 4 days to replace the good bacteria in the gut flora.

Active Ingredients:

60mg/g Ronidazole

Manufacture:

Pet Health

Storage:

Store in original sealed container in a cool dry place.

More Information:

... For these protozoal infections for Canker, Giardia, Trichomoniasis, Hexamitosis, Cochlosomosis, the bird must be treated with Ronidazoal in the drinking water for 7 days. Not treating the bird it will soon die.Trichomoiasis is also known as Canker. This parasite is found in the upper digestive tract of many avian species causing accumulation of necrotic material in the mouth and esophagus. It is principally a disease of younger birds and is often fatal. Symptoms to look for are, looks depressed, salivate excessively, looks emaciated, difficulty closing their mouth, display repeated swallowing movements, have watery eyes, have a puffy appearance of the neck, they will soon die from a blockage in the trachea, again don't hesitate to treat with the Ronidazole.

Last edited:
I found information on using Ronidazole Powder 60mg/g in pigeons and other "non-food birds"

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/ronidazole

I would follow this advice on dosing

Cure: For large birds, Mix 1 teaspoon into 1 gallon of water for Budgerigars and larger birds and fancy pigeons. Treat for 7 days. Racing pigeons treat for 7 days every other week for a total of two doses.

Cure: For small birds, finches and canaries: Mix 1 teaspoon into 1 quart of water and give for 7 days.

Preventive: May be given 4 times throughout the year and should always be given to the babies after fledging the nest.

Mix fresh daily, and remove all other source of water.

Can Be Used With :

Amtyl, vitamins, calcium

Side Effects:

Notes:

Ronidazole is safe to use during any stage of the breeding cycle. It is best to treat before setting the birds up for breeding. If you start losing babies in the nest then give the Ronidazole to the parents they will give it to the babies. If you have sick birds we recommend giving Amtyl also mixed with Ronidazole for 7 days.

Always be sure to give a probiotic such as Probiotic Plus for 3 to 4 days to replace the good bacteria in the gut flora.

Active Ingredients:

60mg/g Ronidazole

Manufacture:

Pet Health

Storage:

Store in original sealed container in a cool dry place.

More Information:

... For these protozoal infections for Canker, Giardia, Trichomoniasis, Hexamitosis, Cochlosomosis, the bird must be treated with Ronidazoal in the drinking water for 7 days. Not treating the bird it will soon die.Trichomoiasis is also known as Canker. This parasite is found in the upper digestive tract of many avian species causing accumulation of necrotic material in the mouth and esophagus. It is principally a disease of younger birds and is often fatal. Symptoms to look for are, looks depressed, salivate excessively, looks emaciated, difficulty closing their mouth, display repeated swallowing movements, have watery eyes, have a puffy appearance of the neck, they will soon die from a blockage in the trachea, again don't hesitate to treat with the Ronidazole.
Thank you for this. I was able to verify the dosage amount with a vet, so fingers crossed this will work.

We treated the Trichomoniasis and our Phoebe us still sick. She has shown a lot of improvement but is still coughing and congested. Some of the results are in from the trachea culture the vet took last week. She has an antibiotic resistant respiratory infection. Vet is recommending injectable Amikacin as a last resort. I really hope this works. Her friend Patch is in the kennel with her as she has been coughing too. So they both are presumed to have the same thing. I really hope the Amikacin works. I can't lose these two birds! They're eating, talking and wanting to run around- they're nowhere near giving up and neither am I. Anyone else out there deal with something similar?

She has been taking Sulfa Trimethoprim for the bacterial pneumonia and Terbinafine for the Fungal infection. This last visit the poop sample didn't show the fungal infection but they're having us continue both medications since her X-ray still shows pneumonia. The best said they couldn't legally prescribe Ronidazole for the trichomoniasis because it's not approved for use in food animals. Even though we will obviously never eat our duck.
Hmm my vet just makes me sign a pledge that she's inedible both body and egg wise and can't be sold or given to anyone else. But I've never used this particular one. She says there are really no medications approved for ducks so the is the way she Can prescribe. Thanks to the folks that have chimed in here. Also, I've used Safeguard for goats for gapeworm.

We treated the Trichomoniasis and our Phoebe us still sick. She has shown a lot of improvement but is still coughing and congested. Some of the results are in from the trachea culture the vet took last week. She has an antibiotic resistant respiratory infection. Vet is recommending injectable Amikacin as a last resort. I really hope this works. Her friend Patch is in the kennel with her as she has been coughing too. So they both are presumed to have the same thing. I really hope the Amikacin works. I can't lose these two birds! They're eating, talking and wanting to run around- they're nowhere near giving up and neither am I. Anyone else out there deal with something similar?
So sorry you anr your girls are facing this @Lauraduck. At least you have a culture result and thus can give the specific medication -- poor girls needing injections. But as you note, they are fighting and not givign up and I am so glad you are not giving up!
Keep us updated : I am sure we are all rooting for you three!

Hmm my vet just makes me sign a pledge that she's inedible both body and egg wise and can't be sold or given to anyone else. But I've never used this particular one. She says there are really no medications approved for ducks so the is the way she Can prescribe. Thanks to the folks that have chimed in here. Also, I've used Safeguard for goats for gapeworm.
Well we treated the Trich and she's better but not well. Throat culture results are in and she has an antibiotic resistant infection. Dr will show us how to administer Amikacin as a last resort drug. I really hope this works.

A much delayed update on Phoebe and Patch. After a month on Amikacin, and lots of coughing and sneezing, as of February 4 Phoebe's X-rays showed NO pneumonia! Patch got well a week or so before Phoebe. Now they are living their best lives and you can't even tell they were sick! Thank you to everyone in this forum who took the time to give me advice and send us good thoughts. I'm so happy we decided to do everything we would to give these girls a fighting chance. They never gave up, and neither did we. Now they are happy, healthy ducks!
From left to right: Junior, Chloe, Phoebe and Patch

Attachments

• B970E067-6070-4905-B3B0-321530A6A955.jpeg
    B970E067-6070-4905-B3B0-321530A6A955.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom