Tricking a rooster to crow later

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Can this be done?
Is is dependent on daylight?

I enjoy the sound but wish her would do it later that 5:30 every morning. Weekdays are not a problem for me (don't know yet about neighbors, no complaints yet!
big_smile.png
) but I would like to sleep in a little on the weekends if possible.

thanks
Chris

My best suggestion is to keep them in a dark place with no light until you are ready to let them out in the morning. That might not even work though.

How about a sound proof room?

I felt very confident that early crowing would not be a problem, because my coop is a windowless building.
This morning I discovered: I WAS WRONG!!! I now believe that roosters "know" and will crow.

Boy, there sure are lots of posts on crowing today here on BYC!

Heck, my boys crow when the sun goes DOWN! They can see that big, bright ball in the sky, and they start all over again...sigh. But, I love the country, and my boys' crows are part of that!

big_smile.png

I too love to hear my rooster crow and although I've been told you can keep them in the dark until your up and about; I don't know how good that would work. My roo crows at 4:30 a.m. when there's not a speck of light in the sky. Also all thru the morning, when he's feeling good, when he's lonely, when he hears a car pull up in the driveway and on and on and....

My roo starts about 5:00 am and crows over and over and over until I think he should fall down from it, but yet he keeps on going. He usually stops about mid morning and only crows every once in a while. Then about 4:30 pm he starts the whole thing again.

The only time he is not crowing is when he is visiting the ladies!
lau.gif

I have no idea how to make him stop. I actually kinda like it!

Good luck!

Our leghorn rooster crows when the sun rises, and when it sets. He crows when its dark, when its light, when he eats or drinks, he crows when he visits the ladies, he crows when a squirrel walks by, he crows when the wind blows, he crows when a dog barks, he crows when a car goes by, he crows when it rains, he crows 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He did taste good though. :eek:

Mine crows 24/7 too. Though we have not eaten him since he's our only rooster. My husband has an on-going feud with him. The rooster struts around crowing as soon as my husband comes into the yard. It's funny to see the two of them posturing.

Back
Top Bottom