Tried everything for soft shelled eggs. Is it time to cull?

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
I have a 1.5 year old BO. She has not layied eggs consistantly since December. Once every 2 weeks I might get an egg but it is very thin shelled.

She is feed Organic feed with Calcium added in.
Access to Grit
Access to extra oystershells.
Lives in a tractor.
Gets free range time.
Tried filtered water because of arsenic in well water.
Given extra veggies

I guess I just have a hen that just has issues that can't be fixed.

I'm processing a roo very soon, I thinking she will go with him.

Is there anything else I can try? Or is it time for freezer camp?

I had the same thing happen with a bantam, she layed faithfully until January when the frigid cold came in, then never laid another egg. Treated her for egg issues, nothing. She turned 2 in March. I guess her egglaying days have ended.

I have several like this too - young and old. Mine are all pets though so they will never see freezer camp
smile.png
Have you tried giving yogurt or shredded cheese? I have done that with success with a couple indoor chickens I have. They are special need chickens but they do lay eggs. One stopped for awhile so I tried the yogurt and cheese. Within a couple weeks she was laying again. It seemed like the oyster shell was not enough for her....or maybe she is just spoiled lol. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Try upping the protein. I give my girls boiled egg when the production slows down and I know its not due to daylight length. I'll often just boil up the soiled eggs for them. They go bonkers for them also. I just smash them up, shell and all. The way I see it, what food is going to have all the nutrients needed to produce eggs? Eggs!

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom