tried to un seprate! OMG poor lil things!

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
So, today i let my baby 11 week old 3 silkies free range with my 4 1-8 years old hens....there was some pecking...and some more....and some more.....feel so sorry for the 3 lil ones but theyre gonna have to end up getting a long togeter so i can make room for more......i am hoping that in the future they will get along and live in the same coop together but im not too sure now...any ideas on what i could so to make peace? i hate to see them get pecked....poor lil things...

They really need to spend some time seeing each other through a fence for a long time and then they can be put together, preferably when they are free ranging so they are not in close quarters. And I wouldn't try that until they are the same size. Good luck!!

Quote:
well they see eachother through wire all day....and i am trying it at different sizes and so far, they are getting better...

i just watched em again and they seem to be getting more along....not so bad....they just go their own ways
idunno.gif
i think after a week of free rangin together, they should get along
hu.gif

unless there is one that looks like it's seriously trying to kill the new chicks, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Chickens actually have quite a strict pecking order -pun intended- and this is the older hens trying to make it clear they are in charge. They should get bored with the younger chickens pretty quickly.

you run the risk of head-injury crook neck if you let them "peck it out" with your silkies... monitor them and be vigilent till they are the same size....

I have always put a large dog kennel inside the main coop for about a month so the bigger chickens get used to seeing the younger ones. Then when I let them out maybe one or two of the hens will chase and peck, but only few minutes. So far it has worked great for me.

Quote:
well my coop is divided with chicken wire so they can see each other all the time....

Quote:
well, i didnt think silkies got to be the same size as standards?

Back
Top Bottom