TRIGGER WARNING: picture of injured chick. CAT GOT LID OFF INCUBATOR MID-HATCH. Should I euthanize this chick or give it a chance? And other problems

Pullety

Songster
Nov 3, 2020
Rural Western Canada
Yep, I know I’m the biggest ahole ever. I didn’t adequately secure my incubation room. Don’t worry, I will never forgive myself.

These guys are mid-hatch, day 20.5. The cat got one newly-hatched chick out and chewed on her, she knocked one pipped egg off the incubation table, and the lid was off the incubator for maybe a half an hour.

Problem 1: The cat got a chick out and chewed on it. I’m assuming the picture below is its gut that got squeezed out. It has a puncture wound which I put antibiotics on. But I know the real damage must be internal. Also it wasn’t completely dry so likely chilled. Should I euthanize it ASAP or should it be given a chance.

Problem 2: The cat knocked an egg off the incubation table. It had already pipped. The chick is still alive. It has breaks everywhere and a bit of blood at some cracks. I removed some shell at the pip and tried to moisten the dry membrane. There still seems to be active veins so I am leaving it at that for now since it can breathe.

Problem 3: Another egg had pipped before the incubator lid was removed (I honestly don’t know how she did this - she is a tiny cat, and is on medication that has a side effect of making her sleep deeply at this time of night - yes I know I’m dumb). I removed the bit of shell at the pip and moistened the dry membrane. It is still alive.

The shrink wrapping problems: So I assume the membranes are dry all inside and the chicks will be stuck. Since they can both breathe I’m leaving them until can read up on what to do. I don’t see any pips in the other three eggs so hope they are okay.

My mom thinks she heard the “louder peeping” for a half hour before she went to investigate and found a chick on the bathroom floor and then woke me up. So the eggs and one other newly-hatched chick would have been unwarmed for a half an hour.

I will reread the two assisted hatching articles I have bookmarked but I would be grateful if anyone with experience could advise me. Thank you so much.

The pictures are coming now....

989B132C-0284-4032-85E3-2D7F4B0BD38D.jpeg

Pipped egg that fell from the table:
2F2FFC32-18E5-4061-9AB6-D47C8C02C1F3.jpeg

:hugs :hugs :hugs I am so so sorry about this happening! Cats can be little terrors when it comes to peeping chicks and incubators. Hopefully, the other two will pull through for you. Half an hour without heat isn't going to kill them so as long as there wasn't too much blood loss they should be ok. I use antibacterial ointment without pain relief on the membranes because it lasts the longest. When chicks have lost some blood is can also take a bit longer for them to hatch sometimes because with them being bitty it will cause extra fatigue. All hope is not lost though! Give them time and I hope they surprise you! It sounds like you weren't given much choice for the first baby, I'm sorry. :hugs

I will say this. Please don't beat yourself up over this. These things happen. I'm not sure if I'll be much help as haven't had this happen but I think culling injured chick is for the best. The other you will probably have to wait and see.
Thanks. Yes, I felt better after culling the chick. Poor thing. The others hatched after I opened them up a bit and moistened their dry membranes.

:hugs :hugs :hugs I am so so sorry about this happening! Cats can be little terrors when it comes to peeping chicks and incubators. Hopefully, the other two will pull through for you. Half an hour without heat isn't going to kill them so as long as there wasn't too much blood loss they should be ok. I use antibacterial ointment without pain relief on the membranes because it lasts the longest. When chicks have lost some blood is can also take a bit longer for them to hatch sometimes because with them being bitty it will cause extra fatigue. All hope is not lost though! Give them time and I hope they surprise you! It sounds like you weren't given much choice for the first baby, I'm sorry. :hugs
Thanks CluckNDoodle I appreciate it. I opened them up a bit and moistened some more and went to bed. Three hours later when I got up they were both out and running around. Semi-happy ending.

Thanks CluckNDoodle I appreciate it. I opened them up a bit and moistened some more and went to bed. Three hours later when I got up they were both out and running around. Semi-happy ending.

That's great news! As hard as I'm sure the initial experience was, I'm so glad the others are ok. :hugs

Thanks. Yes, like I told my mom, it was best case scenario for a bad situation. I do feel kind of turned off incubating now which is sad cause I just got a second incubator. But it was only a few hours ago.

I never thought I would hatch another chick again because my very first experience was under a broody hen and it was TERRIBLE. I've hatched hundreds of chicks since then, lol. Give yourself all the time you need. Accidents happen but we learn for the difficult experience and it makes you ten times more prepared to be able to handle future hatches.

Thanks. Yes, like I told my mom, it was best case scenario for a bad situation. I do feel kind of turned off incubating now which is sad cause I just got a second incubator. But it was only a few hours ago.
Don't give up on it every hatch is different and you will learn from each one keep hatching its fun

Back
Top Bottom