Trimmed Beaks

sandesnow

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2013
Nova Scotia Canada
So on Monday we finally picked up our new pullets. They are 17 weeks old. (Golden Comets) When I got home with them, I noticed that their beaks had been trimmed, and in my opinion, too short. On two, it is just the top, the lower protrudes.. and on the third, it is top and bottom.

They are otherwise healthy and happy. They drink and eat well. I guess my question is... well, why! and secondly... these gals are pretty much going to be pets that lay eggs. We have a total of 5, so we are already in love with them... Will their beaks grow back? It is just sad looking at these guys. The third one isn't so so bad, but one of them the lower beak protrudes quite a bit. =(

I don't think they grow back unfortunately. This is done for large groups of chickens so they won't peck each other, but I think it is pretty disfiguring. It is quite shocking to see this when you are first getting into chickens, but many hatcheries do this to started pullets they sell.

So on Monday we finally picked up our new pullets. They are 17 weeks old. (Golden Comets) When I got home with them, I noticed that their beaks had been trimmed, and in my opinion, too short. On two, it is just the top, the lower protrudes.. and on the third, it is top and bottom.

They are otherwise healthy and happy. They drink and eat well. I guess my question is... well, why! and secondly... these gals are pretty much going to be pets that lay eggs. We have a total of 5, so we are already in love with them... Will their beaks grow back? It is just sad looking at these guys. The third one isn't so so bad, but one of them the lower beak protrudes quite a bit. =(

Where did you get your pullets? Can you upload photos? I am getting some started pullets from Meyer Hachery and I am worried about what a trimmed beak looks like. I emailed them to ask the same question about whether it will grow back.

Sorry about that, I must have missed this having a reply. I have to say that their beaks do not hinder them, which surprises me. But still, I think my little Sarah got a raw deal. (I think all of them did, but hers is the most unsightly.) We purchased them from one of our local feed stores. A Co-oP. We had gotten our others from there too, but their beaks seem normal.

Cassidy

Henrietta

Sarah

No matter how silly they might look, we love them just the same.

Thanks for the reply! Although I really wish the started pullets from Meyer Hatchery did not have trimmed beaks, I actually feel better after seeing your girls. They are not perfect, but, they still look sweet! Thanks, again!

My girls are here and they are beautiful! If you didn't know better, you wouldn't suspect that their beaks were trimmed!

Back
Top Bottom