Trimming Silkie cockerel “poofs” …

jBabychickn

Songster
Jul 19, 2021
Lexington, KY
My Coop
My Coop
We’ve got a young cockerel about 5mos old, named Sassafras. He’s getting some hormones in, so his comb has grown quite a bit along with the “Poof” on top of his head, making it quite hard for him to see & navigate around his chicken yard.
— I’ve trimmed a few “Silkie Poofs” before, but Mr. Sassafras has these thick stalks at the base of his feathers, even around his eyes.
— I feel very apprehensive about cutting them. I haven’t seen these sort of feathers around the eyes before. (he is my 1st little Silkie boy, however) I fear that I could really hurt him if I cut them…

— Please, Is there Anyone with experience that can reply? I know Sassafras will greatly appreciate it ♥️

We decided to play around a bit with placing Infant Hairclips in his Poof. He’s such a good Sport!! ~Everyday this bird steals another piece of my heart~ Ha! 🤣

(PS- We do not leave hair clips in, for fun only)

Very likely those thick 'stalks' are pin or blood feathers. If you cut them before they mature and the sheath falls off, they will bleed. Good that you 'chickened out' on giving him a trim at this time.

Back
Top Bottom