Triple threat!

CindaLouWho

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I have a broody hen who started out with a clutch of six eggs. I marked them all and numbered them. Within about a week, she kicked out #5. I thought it was a fluke, so I put it back. Several days later, a hen pecked it, broke it, and one of them ate it.
Oh well. Now we have 5 eggs.
Fast forward to today - day 18 approx. now I've got THREE Broodys who ALL WANT to sit on the nest!
AND, I went to check on them and one must have stepped on an egg, crushed it, and there's a fully formed baby inside, which was motionless. :(
I have nowhere to separate her from the others unless I put her in a big Rubbermaid tub in the garage , but then won't I have pecking order problems?!

I initially went into this thinking just let nature take it's course, but OMG ! Now I'm nervous for the remaining babies!

Help!
Thanks

I doubt you'll be able to move her to a Rubbermaid tub and get her to stay. Its tough to move a broody and get her to stay.
Studies show chickens can remember almost 100 other chickens by sight. Part of this ability is assumed to be so a chicken can leave the flock to brood and be accepted back in, when the chicks are hatched. I don't think the pecking order gets rearranged, every time a hen hatches a clutch of eggs.
Can you cage the other two broodies, for three more days?

Last edited:
I could ask my neighbor to borrow a wire cage that he has. Do you think sanitationwise that's a bad idea? My birds are vaccinated; his are not.

I could ask my neighbor to borrow a wire cage that he has. Do you think sanitationwise that's a bad idea? My birds are vaccinated; his are not.

You could spray it down with some Clorox and rinse it off. That should kill anything that my be a threat, if you're worried about it.

Well, neighbor isn't home. Will try again tomorrow. For now, this is what I'm dealing with. Pray for my little peeps!

Back
Top Bottom