Trouble Breeding Rabbit's and aggressive doe?

skysky43

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Show Low, Arizona
So my luck with rabbit's apparently is shot. I currently have 3 bucks, all from different lines and 8 mature doe's. The doe's I have tried to breed multiple times with each buck, and the bucks are not even trying. They don't seem to really care, even if the doe is willing. I know when it's hot they get sterile from the heat, but it has not been over 65' in the past month.
So my question is could there be another reason the bucks are not interested in breeding?

My only conclusion would be they are not sexually mature, but even that seems for two of my bucks flawed.

My oldest buck is a year, he is sexually mature, and is an Angora x Rex. I can find no reason he shouldn't be breeding, he's been checked over who knows how many times and he is really healthy. I do not know what is wrong with him.

My second buck's age is unknown, I got him from my grandfather, who said he was four to five months at the time, and I have had him since May. So my guess would be around 8 months, but knowing my grandpa, he could be off. This buck is just coming into sexual maturity, so him not breeding makes sense.

Alas my third buck is a year also, he is a Angora x California, His father is the same as my first buck. This buck is also sexually mature, he matured really early at four months, but even despite the odd's he doesn't want anything to do with the doe's.

I have been breeding rabbit's since I was twelve so around four years and have never had a problem like this. My brothers used to do the same thing and they never really had a problem. Is it something I am doing wrong? They get fresh water and food every day, they each have their own pen, and they get green's about once a week.

Now I have a new doe, I got her from a family friend that breed's rabbits. She was going to the stew pot, because of aggression, and I was talked into taking her. Not that I mind, she has been noted to be a great mother, and an easy breeder, and she is beautiful, but she is constantly growling and swiping at me. I would normally dismiss it, due to the fact she is pregnant and does get hormonal, but the friend I got her from said she's been this way since she was old enough to leave the nest. I understand some animals are aggressive, or even just afraid which causes them to guard themselves against people.
The thing is though, she will swat and growl, but once you actually get your hand on her she is really sweet. She has torn up the friend I got her from, he warned me about that, but my question is there a better way to deal with her? I interact with each rabbit every day for several minutes, petting and grooming them, but she doesn't seem to change much.

Thanks for reading my novel, and I appreciate any input you guys can give me!

I have a doe like the one you are describing. She's due for the stew pot now that I have some reliable replacement does for her. I only kept her as long as I have because A. she is very pretty and B. she is a great mom/easy breeder.
I tried everything from housing her indoors and spoiling her to not handling her at all and nothing worked. Hopefully someone who has had luck will come by and help you out.

When I first got into rabbits again (I had them as a kid, then again as a teenager, and have had them again now for a few years) I had a really hard time finding a good production buck. I think I went through about 5 or 6 bucks that either weren't interested, or were super excited, but didn't manage to impregnate my does. I kept replacing them and finally settled on my current buck who produces nearly 100% of the time. (He does have trouble with first time does occasionally, but that's understandable in my book.)

I have found that ACV does live up to its reputation of keeping and getting rabbits into reproduction mode. It does take time to really kick in (nearly 3 months), but if you're in for the long haul, it's definitely worth it!

Hope this helps - even if it's mostly just that I empathize with your frustration!

Quote:
Thank's for the input Kathryn! The doe I have will definitely be heading to the freezer once she has her kit's and they are weaned if she doesn't change much. I'll have to try the ACV, I use it for the chicken's but have never thought of using for the rabbits. Do you put it in their water every day? If so how much? I just don't understand the bucks. I've never had a problem with the bucks breeding unless they where either to old, or the doe's beat up on them. Maybe I'll just have to look around for a better buck. Thank's again! I will definitely have to try the ACV.

Thank's for the input Kathryn! The doe I have will definitely be heading to the freezer once she has her kit's and they are weaned if she doesn't change much. I'll have to try the ACV, I use it for the chicken's but have never thought of using for the rabbits. Do you put it in their water every day? If so how much? I just don't understand the bucks. I've never had a problem with the bucks breeding unless they where either to old, or the doe's beat up on them. Maybe I'll just have to look around for a better buck. Thank's again! I will definitely have to try the ACV.
No problem
cool.png
Yep, I use ACV every day. 2 tbs/gallon water.

Back
Top Bottom