Trouble defecating, otherwise completely normal

woodlandd

Chirping
Sep 26, 2021
BC, Canada
One of my buff orpington hens (2 years old) has had trouble defecating for months now, with no signs of anything being wrong other than her straining to defecate and only letting out very little at a time. Her feces looks completely normal besides it being very small, and she is showing absolutely no other signs of illness and is acting otherwise perfectly healthy. I've checked her vent and that's all normal too. I have no idea what could be wrong. She was noticeably heavier than my other chicken (I only have two) for a while and may have had a bloated stomach though I'm not sure, but as they've started molting for the winter she is now lighter than the other one is. The other one seems to still be pretty much the same weight. Any thoughts?

She was noticeably heavier than my other chicken (I only have two) for a while and may have had a bloated stomach though I'm not sure, but as they've started molting for the winter she is now lighter than the other one is.
Does she have fluid in the abdomen?

Trouble going could be due to excess fat, fluid in the abdomen or?

Rule out worms by getting a fecal float - collect some of her droppings and have your vet check.

Sounds like some internal trouble like a tumor or
One of my buff orpington hens (2 years old) has had trouble defecating for months now, with no signs of anything being wrong other than her straining to defecate and only letting out very little at a time. Her feces looks completely normal besides it being very small, and she is showing absolutely no other signs of illness and is acting otherwise perfectly healthy. I've checked her vent and that's all normal too. I have no idea what could be wrong. She was noticeably heavier than my other chicken (I only have two) for a while and may have had a bloated stomach though I'm not sure, but as they've started molting for the winter she is now lighter than the other one is. The other one seems to still be pretty much the same weight. Any thoughts?
sounds like some internal trouble like a tumor or an issue with the reproductive system. Is she laying normally?

Does she have fluid in the abdomen?

Trouble going could be due to excess fat, fluid in the abdomen or?

Rule out worms by getting a fecal float - collect some of her droppings and have your vet check.
Unfortunately I don't have the financial capacity to take her to the vet right now. I haven't seen any worms myself, and my other hen is perfectly fine, so I didn't think it would be worms. Should I be considering it a possibility?

Since your hen is eating, drinking, laying eggs and otherwise acting normal...I wouldnt worry about it.
Give her applesauce mixed in her feed, it acts as a mild laxative in chickens.
You can also give a little milk, or molasses - all will act as laxatives.

Back
Top Bottom