Trouble helping 1wk old bantam w/ swollen crop

bladeville

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Spring (Houston)
I got some chicks on Thursday, and had to go away for the weekend. One of the chicks is a bantam, and fits in my palm with a lot of room to spare. It started looking sick on Saturday, and this morning my mother cleaned solid poop off his butt. It pooped, it's no longer blocked up at that end, but his crop has been swollen. I didn't really think about it and fed him when I got home this evening. He's in a lot of pain by the looks of it, hardly moved, and is crying constantly with his eyes closed. He looked really bedraggled, possibly being picked on by the others.

I've tried massaging his crop (with no effect), I've isolated him, and I'm keeping en eye on him. I really don't know what to do, I've been reading but I can't get anything in or out of him. I am terrified that if I massage him too much/hard that I will hurt him. The others are fine and lively. They look bigger and healthier in fact, but he just looked like crap. I'm going to stick him in a bigger enclosure with a heat lamp, and put down some water with sugar in it. I can't get to a store till tomorrow afternoon so I can't get him electrolytes or anything else I've read prescribed. We don't have yogurt, but we do have olive oil. I'm afraid to put it on bread for him though. Would that be safe or is there a different way to get it in him. The lump is about as big as his head.

What do you by " I fed him when I got home tonight'? Did he have food available all day or do you take it away?

Back
Top Bottom