Trouble In Paradise........

dianer29

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
my SILKIES have cut down drastically last 2/3 days on egg laying. Thereare 3 that are broody and one of those 3 has adopted the only box in run. They will be moved out shortly to new coop and run.I caught them eating an entire egg and yes I ck them very frequently and I provide calicum as well. We live on The Big Island so I know weather is not the concern They are 7 months old and up to now have produced beautiful perfect eggs. Just yesterday one laid a reject that came out with her poop.I am baffled . I have been offline for over a month and perhaps lost some valuavle info ,in any case can someone interject. I realise that most are from mainland and a huge time difference,sometimes I do not get any input.

How many Silkie chickens do you have? Once they go broody they will not lay, so if you have 5 silkies for example, then you'll notice the drop in egg production since there will no longer be 5 "laying" hens, but only 2 since the other 3 have gone broody. Also, since you seem to now have some egg eaters, they could be eating the eggs even though you check it frequently. Some chickens will eat their eggs immediately after laying their egg, I know from personal experience. It's a hard habit to break and often times when I begins to eat their eggs, the others will follow. My chickens are still laying as usual despite the weather being hot one week and then raining this entire week. Yes, I do live on the Big Island as well

Chicken stirfry:This is the first time they have eaten their eggs. I am lucky to be home to watch over them on a daily basis. They are cleaned up by me more than a daily basis with gloves and paper toweling so I am able to get an eye full .I watch them and keep check on behaviors.Yesterday they provided 2 eggs and during the early hours (2 am) when I checked on the broodies ,one was under the first broodie. Sometimes the eggs are laid in front of me when I am working with them or nearby. Sometimes the eggs are on floor.

Cind: They are on 19 % Organic layer feed. I give them:salmon rinsed off to keep most of the salt away from their kidneys,have stopped giving cheese as much as I offered(,now just on occassion),local organic cabbage,frsh carrots,brown rice,apples, yogurt on occassion,dwarf apple banana,blueberries.............. ACV daily basis water changed daily plus.Grit and calicum offered and used.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom