Trouble Incubating - Please Help!!!

Opalyn

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Hello Everyone,

This is my second year incubating Rhode Island Reds, Red Stars, and Cuckoo Marans. Last year, I lost on average 20% of the eggs. This year, with the same incubation set-up, I am loosing 90%. It does not seem to mater whether I use a converted refrigerator turned into a warmerator warmerator or the styrofoam still air incubator. I have egg turners in both and am loosing clutches incubated in both units.

I have cleaned and aired both units recently and when I cracked the unhatched eggs yesterday almost all the chicks had developed to the point of internalizing the egg yolk. I had 10 chicken eggs and 9 of them were 18 to 20 days incubated. Not one of them started pipping.

Four weeks ago I started 25 guinea foul eggs and 8 indian runner duck eggs. At 10 days of incubation I removed 10 guinea eggs and 1 duck egg for non-development or death. When I opened up the guinea eggs 2 had not developed at all and 3 more had died at about 10 days. Seven had developed to the ready to hatch stage and not even pecked a hole in the shell. The other three pecked their way out and have since died - their feet were curled up and never seemed to work right. Several ducklings pipped but they have not survived.

This year with well over 100 eggs going into the incubator I have 8 pullets and 4 roosters that have survived. The Red Stars with their hybrid vigor have done the best so far. Any assistance you can offer would be most appreciated.

In order for many of us to help you we will need to know

what humidity do you have from day 1 to day 18 and from day 18 to day 21 (or lockdown)

what is you temperature?

Do you have any temperature fluctuations?

The temperature in the styrofoam incubator has been at 99.5 every time I've checked and the water slot is kept full but I do not have a hygrometer in that incubator.

The warmerator has slight temperature fluctuations and will go down to about 90 when it is opened - usually only once a day- then right back up to 99. The humidity is usually about 40% RH but getting it higher is difficult and currently not maintainable.

These are the same practices I had last year with much better results so I'm wondering about hen nutrition and other issues as well as incubation procedures.

Temperature Is Very Important In Still Air Bators I Am Pretty Sure That Is A Main Issue You Have

Check Your Message Box I Just Send You Some Good Instruction

Hope It Helps

Thank you! I will pick up the recommended supplies and collect better data. I also realized that my protocol for this year has one more difference. I have been collecting eggs throughout the week and starting clutches once a week. Last year, I started incubating daily even though that meant that I would have a few eggs ready to hatch every day

I strongly recommend installing a cheap computer fan into your still air to stabilize temps. All you need is a computer cooling fan and a 12V or less adapter to wire it to. It's a very simple process and saves a lot of drama with the still air bators.

Back
Top Bottom