BizzyB

Chirping
May 23, 2020
I’ve been trying to introduce my new teen hens (a Dominicker, RIR, and a Welsummer) to my existing adult hens (two black sex links, a red sex link, and an Australorp) but it’s been a bit harder than I expected. I knew there would be fighting but it surprised me how rough they get. I tried putting my teens in the adult coop and watched them fight for a bit but my Australorp seemed to be trying to pull of my Dominicker’s comb so I separated them.

Is that a normal part of pecking order fighting or should I be worried? I’m worried that I separated them to early but I’m also worried that if I didn’t separate them when I did my Dominicker could have gotten seriously hurt.

It can get pretty rough but will resolve itself fairly quickly. How did you introduce tham? Did you give everybody a chance to see each other through a barrier like a fence for a while? How much room do they have? Are there hiding places, multiple feed and water stations, etc.? Once you do the "look but don't touch thing" for a while, putting the new ones on the roost at night is the best option for integrating them in my opinion. The old girls may say 'Huh, have you always been here?" In the morning, and then move on with some necessary pecking.

I put my teen hens temporary coop near by the adult coop so they can see each other and have been able to see each other since the teens that I got as chicks were able to stay outside by themselves. When I try to introduce them I let them all out of their coops to run around the yard so my teens have room to make a run for it if they need to.

I put my teen hens temporary coop near by the adult coop so they can see each other and have been able to see each other since the teens that I got as chicks were able to stay outside by themselves. When I try to introduce them I let them all out of their coops to run around the yard so my teens have room to make a run for it if they need to.
How long have you been letting them out in the yard together?

How long have you been letting them out in the yard together?
Since a the teens were about half the size of the adults so a few weeks to maybe a month? This is my first time with chickens so I may be making the process longer and/or harder because of my worrying and I’ve also been relying on my parents’ knowledge of chickens as they both raised chickens growing up but their knowledge comes from the 60’s and is different then modern knowledge.

Since a the teens were about half the size of the adults so a few weeks to maybe a month? This is my first time with chickens so I may be making the process longer and/or harder because of my worrying and I’ve also been relying on my parents’ knowledge of chickens as they both raised chickens growing up but their knowledge comes from the 60’s and is different then modern knowledge.
Ok. I would agree with @Yardmom. Let them keep interacting in the yard. Read threads and articles about integration. I wouldn't rush to put them in the same coop until they are used to each other. You could also give the teens some time in the adult coop with the adults locked out to get their bearings in peace.

Adding a smaller number of new birds to an established flock, can be tough, so switch it up so that you are adding more new birds to the old. Let me explain.

Flip them, put the old girls where you have the young birds, and the young birds where you have the old girls. This will break down the territorial tensions a bit. Wait a day and a night, and most of the next day.

Then add one adult bird to the pullets. There will be a dust up, but three pullets to chase will get tiring after a bit. Add the adult pretty close to dark, the urge to roost will be nearly equal to the urge to fight. Wait a couple of days. Add another adult to the four birds. Wait several days. Then add another one, or both, or maybe even keep the Australope out by herself for a few more days. Always add very late in the day, near dark.

Do make sure that you have a top roost for the important birds (their opinion) and a lower roost for the newbies...hopefully out of reach the the older girls. Taping up a piece of cardboard can split a roost, so that birds roosting next to each other, can't reach each other.

By breaking up the established flock, it will be easier to integrate the new birds.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom