Trouble laying

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
I have a 3-2-year-old barred rock who seems to be having a bit of an egg problem. leading up to this, she's been laying fine so I'm thinking she tried to lay but she laid a soft-shelled egg and it broke. Just today, when I let her out I noticed when she went to use the bathroom that she had what seemed to be an egg sack hanging out. my immediate thought was it needed to come out, so I very gently removed it, but there were more strands. I fished another piece out but it looked like she was in the beginning stages of prolapse, so I left it. I know there is still eggshell stuck, so I'm worried, I know she's at risk of infection now, so what should I do? I'm considering bringing her in and giving her a warm bath, in hopes of soothing her, then putting her somewhere dark to see if she can pass it herself.. or should I remove it? any tips are appreciated.

You can put her in a warm Epsom salt bath, use coconut oil to lube her vent. VERY GENTLY try to work out any egg shell that’s stuck.
let us know how she’s doing.
You can give her crushed up tums for a calcium boost

You can put her in a warm Epsom salt bath, use coconut oil to lube her vent. VERY GENTLY try to work out any egg shell that’s stuck.
let us know how she’s doing.
You can give her crushed up tums for a calcium boost
she seems to have passed it on her own, but she's pretty lethargic now. I felt for any swelling/bloating in her abdomen and felt none, and she's not losing weight. She's still eating and drinking but she seems sick. Any tips on any further treatment?

Back
Top Bottom