Here is what the parents looked like if it helps

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0001.jpg
    imagejpeg_0001.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 7
  • imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 7
Thanks. I'm fairly sure the one with thet tiny comb is a pullet. I was told they should be 7 - 8 weeks old. There are two factors that make me less sure about the genders and that is the mothers genes could be just about anything (although the black orpington traits look fairly dominant to me) and I have no idea what the other "definate" roosters from this clutch looked like
They're taking very strongly after the Black English Orpington side, look just like mine did as babies! :) They look scrappy now but give them twelve weeks or so and they'll be quite puffy

Yeah I would definitely give it a lot of time, the combs do get redder when they’re all worked up but the size is more an issue than color. The one is probably definite, but the other two questionable ones could go either way in the next couple three weeks! Post updates! :)
Always! I find it so frustrating when these threads never get proper closure

Here are the same 4 birds now at 12 weeks
The one on the far right looks like a pullet for sure. The two in the middle look like they will be boys, and the one on the far left looks questionable…hard to see the comb real well. Watch for shiny thin feathers to start coming in about midway down the back, those are the saddle feathers. At 12 weeks that is when I started seeing them slowly growing in…slow feathering ones were closer to 16 weeks before saddles came in. :) they’re all really pretty! The boys will be sooo handsome!!

The one on the far right looks like a pullet for sure. The two in the middle look like they will be boys, and the one on the far left looks questionable…hard to see the comb real well. Watch for shiny thin feathers to start coming in about midway down the back, those are the saddle feathers. At 12 weeks that is when I started seeing them slowly growing in…slow feathering ones were closer to 16 weeks before saddles came in. :) they’re all really pretty! The boys will be sooo handsome!!
It's a shame that I can't keep roosters here. The backfence is on the boundry between a rural and residential zone so if i could move the run 2 metres north I could keep them.

Back
Top Bottom