Trouble sexing my rhode island reds *NEED HELP*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by reynolds.mitchell, Jan 1, 2011.

1. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell New Egg

Jan 1, 2011
    I have a small flock (5) and they just turned 16 weeks old today. Unfortunately, they have started to crow. One is clearly a rooster (large comb, thicker legs/knees, taller) but I have one that looks like a hen but acts like a rooster. I can hunt and gut a deer, but I can't kill and eat my own pet so I have decided to take the rooster(s) to a farmer's market and just try to sell them. I have to get rid of the roosters so the neighbors won't call the cops on me but i want to keep as many as I can. Therefore, I need to sex them soon and accurately. Are chickens like pack animals where there is one distinct, physical alpha and then the other males are just under him or can there be multiple males? I'm concerned that my tomboy peep may be a male but can't look it because (s)he isn't the alpha. Is it a physical distinction or just a behavioral one? Thanks

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

If you could post a few pictures I'm sure we could help you figure it out... Hard to tell just from a description. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by