Trouble with chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by diannawilliamson, Jul 11, 2008.

1. diannawilliamson

diannawilliamson New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    [​IMG] It was a sad decision I had to make.....but, I decided that I had to put her out of her misery. My Barred Rock who is about 4 years old, suffered a prolapse and ended up with maggots from the flies. She made it thru the night but was in no better shape the next day. So I put her in warm water with Shaklee Basic H. She seemed to feel better because the maggots dropped out (many of them). After washing her, I examined the area and put antibotic ointment in the area and placed her in a cage with a heat lamp. She stopped eating and drinking. Late afternoon, when she did not improve, I put her down. I am not in the egg business, so I don't put hens down when they get old - only if they become ill. I believe she was the one who laid that horribly huge egg and suffered for it. I have several hens over 5 years old and are still laying. I believe that ages 4 and 5 years are old for chickens.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is never easy to put down one of your animals. Sorry you had to do it but congrats on practicing good animal husbandry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by