Trouble with doves in chicken coop?

noodleroo

Snuggles with Chickens
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Rockport, Tx
Checked on the chickens at the bay this evening. Stopped on the road in front of the coop because the new calves were playing 'king of the hill' on the burn pile (they just looked so darn cute). Then I noticed that the chickens weren't going in the coop and it was almost dark. Saw somthing 'flutter' in there and upon closer inspection saw it was not one but two young Eurasian doves in the coop. They apparently came in through the pop door and couldn't figure out how to get out. I opened the 'people' door and let them out but they actually didn't seem that terrified. I'm guessing they'll be back. Other than contamination with parasites, is there anything I should worry about with them in close proximity to the chickens?

Hi noodleroo, I was having the same problem. I'd leave the big door open to the run and doves would go in looking for food. Then they'd get trapped inside. For awhile a dozen or so a day were getting caught in there. They always have such a hard time finding their way out. My dog thinks her job is to keep them out of the run and if she gets a hold of them they don't do so well. She hasn't killed one yet, but most lose all their tail feathers. At first I thought, "well that bird should learn its lesson and won't be back here again and the numbers getting trapped should drop". Well, I was right, they don't return. All the birds went in with a full complement of tail feathers. The horror was that there seemed to be a never ending supply of naive doves to get trapped daily. It was pretty bad. Anyway, I changed around where I fed the chickens and put up flaps made of shade cloth over the pop door. The chooks have learned to get in but not the doves.

Doves are good eating
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
lol.png

The shade cloth just might do it. I haven't been out there yet to see if they are there again today so we'll see... Thanks for the idea. And we like doves, too but not until season...if there is a season on that kind....

Edited for spelling, as usual...

Last edited:
I let mine free range when im home and put whatever treats they get out in the yard. This particular day it was oatmeal. A few doves flew in and started feeding on the oatmeal. I heard my sexlink "Granny" clucking up a storm. I walked over to see what was going on and Granny chicken commenced to whooping the dove's beeehind. I was only about 20 ft away and before i could get to them Granny chicken killed the dove. So i had dove problems but with Granny chicken around i dont have that problem. Shes killed two more since. I just worry about the doves transferring something to my flock. I think this coming hunting season im gonna turn Granny chicken loose on some hogs.

Back
Top Bottom